Chapter one - pg.3

Edwin hesitated, he often pondered about what his future could look like. Yet, within Denora's presence he found the courage to unveil his desires. 

"I see a small studio," he began, "with paint-stained floors and canvases cluttering every corner. I'm there, lost in a world of color and creation, free from..." He paused, the shadows of his past flickering at the edges of his vision before Denora's gentle gaze guided him back.

"Free from fear," she finished for him, her understanding of his wounded spirit. 

"And you?" Edwin asked, shifting slightly to prop himself up, to study her face in the dim light. 

Denora smiled, her dreams shimmering in her gaze. "I see a garden," she said, her voice filled with hope. "A riot of flowers, herbs, and laughter. Children learning the names of all the plants, their hands digging in the dirt beside mine."

Edwin could almost smell the earthy fragrance, hear the children's delight. It was a future bright with promise, and the perfect vivid imagery for a peaceful sleep. 

The next morning, the sun rose and stole the moonlight from the night before. He slipped out of the bed and tiptoed carefully out of the room, to avoid waking his beloved.

Moments later, he returned, a bouquet of sunflowers cradled in his arms. He approached the bed where she still lay sleeping, the corners of her mouth turned upward in a serene smile.

"Dee," he called softly, brushing a curl from her forehead.

Her eyelids fluttered open, and when her eyes found the unexpected surprise, her smile blossomed. The sunflowers, with their rugged stems and bright, open faces, spoke of unadorned beauty and resilience, much like the love that flourished between them.

"Eddie, they're perfect," she breathed, sitting up to take the bouquet in her hands. The rich scent of the fresh blooms mixed with the lingering sweetness of last night's dreams.

"Like you," Edwin replied, his voice barely above a whisper. As the morning light grew stronger, it seemed to chase away the remnants of darkness that had haunted him, leaving behind only the promise of a new day and the certainty of their love...