Family Feud

Harley was now 13 years old. She and her 8-year-old brother, Kai Jr., were watching TV. Their favorite show ended, and they started a fight over what to watch next.

"Hey!" Kai shouted. "Both of you cut it out, or I'm turning that TV off right now!"

"What did you say to me?" Harley asked, a clear act of defiance.

"You heard what I said, Harley," Kai said, unmoved. "Quit bugging your brother."

"What brother?" Harley asked. "Junior is not my brother."

"Harley!" Hayden said. "That's so mean!"

"Well, he's not!" Harley shot back. "And you're not my mother either... Hayden!"

Kai opened his mouth, ready to really let Harley have it, but his anger collided with his being stunned into silence. He collapsed on the couch and buried his face in his hands.

Oh, God, he thought. Where did I go wrong?

"Junior," Hayden said. "I think you ought to go to your room."

Kai Jr. just nodded and slinked away.

"Now, Harley," Kai said, sternly but evenly. "I think we need to have a little talk."

"Look, Kai—I mean, Dad," Harley said, still defiantly but respectfully. "I already know the truth."

"What truth do you mean, dear?" Hayden asked.

"About your reproductive organs, Mom," Harley answered.

"What about them?"

"They're not real, are they?"

"Whatever do you mean, sweetie?"

"They're synthetic," Harley said. "They're not really yours, are they?"

"Well—" Hayden began, but Kai cut her off.

"Darling, it's all right," he said.

"Do you think you can handle it?" Hayden asked.

"I'll try my best," Kai said. Then, turning to Harley, he began relating the tales of how he met Hayden, the fact that she began her existence as an android Match, how they fell in love and got married, and how she was transformed into a human via the Pinocchio Project.

And Harley, who always loved a good story, just sat silently and smiled, listening with rapt attention. She cheered when Kai told her about the adventure they had when they brought Eros down for good.

"Anyway, my point is, Harley," Kai finished, "it doesn't matter whether your mother's reproductive organs are real or not."

"Kai's right, sweetie," Hayden said. "It doesn't mean I, or your father, love you any less. And the same goes for Kai Jr., too."

"Aw, Mommy..." Harley said, her eyes filling with tears. She hugged Hayden, and Kai joined in.

"Junior?" Kai said. "I know you're listening in, son. Come here and join us."

Kai Jr. rushed up to all of them and hugged everyone.

"I'm sorry, Harley," he said.

"Don't be, Little Kai, it's my fault," Harley replied, smiling. She giggled, and Kai Jr. just laughed.