Weeks Of Silence

A week of silence went on in eager waiting. The guests who were coming to witness our trial were coming without end yet there was no news about our family or how the hunting turned out. At first we weren't worried but on the third day even Esme was anxious. We tried to call them almost every day but no one picked up.

“You called Alice Cullen. I can't talk at the moment . Please give me a message and I will call back.” Sounded Alice’s voicemail for the hundreth of time.

The others were all the same. Usually I was patient and understanding but everything has a limit and I am reaching mine. I folded my arms as I glared at the phone. Renesmee sat next to me at the old window seat. She took over the device and tried to call Edward this time. His voicemail came again.

“Why the fuck they have phone if they won't pick up!” I snapped hitting the soft pillow.

“Carlie!” Esme and Bella gasped at the same time.

The phone slowly slipped out from my sister’s hand as she couldn't process what she heard.

“Sorry.” I said with an embarrassed blush.

“You better be! Where did you even hear such a word?” Bella demanded.

I avoided her gaze. How should I answer that? I am not a real child who happened to learn a bad word. I brought this knowledge with me into this life. I looked around in the room. Should I find someone to blame for my overly adult behaviors? Emmett usually takes it pretty well but he isn’t here at the moment, I pouted.

“Sorry. It slipped.” I mumbled. My answer didn't take away the tension.

“Carlie dear. You have to mind your words. It is not pretty when a young lady curses.” Esme gave me an old fashioned lecture.

I had to force back a groan. Why did the girls have to mind their words, but the boys don't have to? I get it. My dear grandmother grew up in a different time but these wastefully strict rules for women are making me sick. I took a deep breath to remain calm.

There will be a time for rebellion. I am still a toddler. In a few years I can tell them that the old rules are sucks. Maybe I pair it with an emo look and a shaved head. I almost snickered at the thought. Bella would be furious if my beautiful ginger locks were gone.

“Why didn't they pick it up? They are fine, right?” Renesmee asked.

“Of course they are! They’re just a bit busy.” Bella reassured her with a disshonest smile.

She was as worried as we were but her lie worked well on my sister. I, on the other hand, was furious about the lack of information. If we could just find a way to force a sign out of them. With a sigh I looked outside.

I get that they are busy chasing after Nahuel’s family and I am sure they are perfectly aware of our well-being as well. As I know Alice, she keeps a close eye on our future. That must be the reason why they didn’t call. They know we are fine and we will be fine when they come. But we didn't know how they are! From our point of view they could be hurt… Or dead. And that annoyed me. Would it be hard to send a message or something? A half written sms would be enough.

“What’s the angry face for?” Aro’s singing voice startled me. I didn't realize when he came in but I shouldn't be surprised. He and his wife danced in and out of our room uninvited almost every single day.

“Dad didn't call us yet.” Renesmee answered for me.

“Oh. You don't have to worry, I am sure they will be here shortly.” He patted my head lightly.

Bella nervously took me into her arms. She just couldn't bear that any member of the Volturi touched us. The leaders weren't exception. The master of course smiled at her understanding.