Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The hum of the traffic passing her car woke Ava, she had been sitting outside Chase’s apartment block for what felt like hours, waiting for any sign of him, but there was nothing. Realising that sitting in her car was not getting her anywhere she got out and stretched, she shivered and pulled her red scarf tightly around her neck. The frost crunched under her feet as she hurried towards his apartment, she buzzed his intercom continuously, but there was no answer.

She strode around to the back of the apartment block where the caretaker lived and knocked on his door, she hoped he would believe her story and give her the spare key to chase’s apartment.

“Who’s there?” his gruff voice came from the other side of the door.

Ava took a deep breath and fixed a smile on her face, “Hi I was just wondering if you could give me the spare key to Chase’s apartment,” she asked sweetly.

The man swung the door open and looked her up and down shaking his head furiously, “Don’t be ridiculous, I can’t go handing keys out to just anyone!” he scolded.

Ava knew that it was not going to work, so with a sigh she decided to try a different approach. She felt sick at the thought of having to flirt her way around the man. He was fat, sweaty and had the worst comb over she had ever seen.

“I need to be in there before Chase gets home, it’s just I have a little surprise for him,” she told him with a wink.

The man began to sweat profusely and hurried off inside his grubby little home to retrieve the key she so desperately needed. Ava held her nose as the smell of sweat, and stale smoke drifted to her. The man came rushing to the door with the key in his hand, and held it out to her, she took the key from him quickly, but he grabbed her wrist before she could pull away.

“Maybe when you’re finished with the key, you could come inside for some fun,” he suggested.

Ava cringed at the thought of that man anywhere near her, she looked him up and down and resisted the urge to throw up as she saw his dinner dropped down the front of his shirt and the remains of his egg in his moustache.

“Well the sooner you let go of me the sooner I can be back,” she told him with a smile.

The man let go of her instantly and smiled at her widely, “Hurry then,” he told her.

Ava could not get away from his house quickly enough, he had only touched her hand, but she felt as though she needed to shower in bleach to get rid of the stench that seemed to be lingering around her.

She unlocked the front door to chase’s luxury apartment and stepped inside; she walked towards the living room and pushed the door open. She looked around the room and shook her head; it was just how she imagined it to be minimal, clean, and perfectly organised. If there was one thing, she knew about her ex-husband it was he had an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Everything had to be straight, in line, in alphabetical order. She was shocked at just how severe it was, it had caused many arguments when they were together and as she walked around his living room, she was glad that she did not have to put up with it anymore.

She glanced around the room and sighed, there was nothing there that made it look like a struggle had happened there. She was about to leave when a metal box caught her eye in the corner of the room. She walked over to it and picked it up, shocked at the weight of it, she looked at the box and tried to open it, but  realised it needed a key. She had never seen it before, not even when they had lived together. She decided to take it with her and attempt to open it at home.