Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The club was heaving with people; it was the perfect opportunity to meet Caelan. He would not risk attacking him in front of so many humans. John walked through the club and saw a booth with four vampires sitting at it. They knew who he was, but they rarely crossed paths unless circumstances arose where he needed to make them aware of something.

John recognized the largest of the four vampires as Dalton, he was Caelan’s second in command and the vampire that he needed to speak to. He approached the table, trying his hardest to mask his fear, but he could see from their amused faces it was not working. The three vampires that sat with Dalton watched John like a hawk as he neared them.

“I need to see Caelan,” John told Dalton as he tried to keep a distance from them.

Dalton did not look up, but instead motioned to one of the other vampires to move over so that he could sit down. John was not comfortable sitting next to a bunch of hungry vampires, but he had little choice if he wanted to see Caelan, the only way was through Dalton.

John squeezed into the purple leather coloured booth and hid his sweaty hands underneath the table, constantly rubbing them on his blue jeans. Dalton leaned back against the seat and looked straight at John, he smirked as he squirmed under his intense gaze. John looked away from the vampire, his brown eyes burning into his skin.

“What do you want with Caelan?” Alisa, one of the female vampires asked in a seductive tone.

John glanced around the club, he checked that no one else was listening in on their conversation before he spoke, “A group calling themselves the cure are trying to expose your kind, they have the key to a powerful virus to wipe you out, and it’s in both of our interests that we retrieve it.” He informed them.

The other vampires gasped, and Dalton looked furious with them for showing that they feared what John was saying. For all he knew it was a trick, “Come with me,” Dalton demanded.

The other vampires moved allowing him out of the booth and John followed him to the back of the club where Caelan was. They walked towards a booth that was set back from the other booths in the club. It was in the darkest corner of the room. Dalton stopped in front of the booth, John looked down at the floor as Dalton spoke to Caelan relaying the information John had given him.

“Leave us,” Caelan demanded his deep voice loud enough for John to hear.

John finally looked up, squinted into the darkness, and shuddered when he saw the vampire. He emanated power, his jade green eyes flashed with amusement; he could smell the fear rolling from John in waves. He nodded at Dalton to leave, and then looked over at John again.

“Sit,” Caelan told him motioning to the seat opposite him.

John glanced over at the glass that Caelan had in front of him, it was blood. He was careful not to stare at the vampire, knowing that he could kill him with one swipe and knowing that he was not patient when it came to humans. His blonde hair fell in front of his left eye and he swept it away before taking a sip of the blood in the glass.

“So tell me what you know,” Caelan said lighting a cigarette and taking a long drag.

He leaned across the table, making John jump with fright, “Cigarette?” he offered with a smirk.

John shook his head, but nodded quickly when he saw a flash of annoyance cross Caelan’s pale face. He did not quite know what the protocol was when it came to vampire relations. He knew refusing a request was a bad idea but he was not a smoker.

“Why would you take a cigarette when you do not smoke?” Caelan asked.

John did not like how Caelan was mocking him, he wanted to say his piece and leave, but this vampire wanted to toy with him, he wanted to make him squirm.

“I...I...look we need to sort this problem out,” John told him trying to get back on track.

He wished he had kept his mouth shut though, as Caelan’s hand shot out and he gripped John’s shirt pulling him towards him. His fangs elongated and his eyes flashed with a hunger that made John feel sick.

“There is no we, now you have told me I will deal with it. You on the other hand are too much of a risk. You’re weak, scared, and there’s just something about you that I do not like,” he told him sternly.

John shuddered as Caelan took a deep breath, he thought Caelan would not risk killing him in such a public place but he had underestimated the vampire. He did not care where he was, he was too old, and powerful, he could kill each and every human in the club in minutes.

“Wait!” John pleaded, as Caelan moved towards his neck.

Caelan let go of John and pushed him away, “What?”

“There is someone else that knows, someone that isn’t part of the agency. She is more of a risk than me,” he told him shakily.

Caelan relaxed back into the booth and nodded for John to tell him more. John pulled his phone from his pocket and found some pictures of Chase and Ava. He did not want to put her at risk, but it was his life or hers, and he was not willing to die.

“She is Chase’s ex wife, she’s been snooping around.” John told him.

Caelan took the phone from John and inspected the picture, he recognized the dark haired girl immediately. He had bought her a drink in the bar only a few days ago, she was beautiful for a human. There was something in her eyes, something innocent, and it lured him to her.

“I remembered what it was I didn’t like about you,” Caelan said leaning across the table, “You’re a coward, and I despise cowards.”

John gasped as Caelan moved across the booth and pinned him down, biting into his neck and tearing through his veins. He wiped the blood from his chin and looked down at John, it never failed to surprise him how quick humans were to betray each other. It was a shame that he was going to have to kill the girl, but one thing John was right about was that she knew too much.

“Dalton I trust that you will dispose of him,” he asked as Dalton reappeared with two vampire women hanging from each arm.

When they saw Caelan, they could not tear their lustful gazes from the blonde haired, green-eyed vampire that sat with his feet up on the table.

Dalton nodded and pushed the girls away from him, “Go, I’ll come and find you two later.”

The two women sauntered away from the table, and as soon as they were out of earshot Caelan stood and glared at Dalton, “Must you always have a whore hanging off your arm?”

Dalton ran his hand through his wild black hair and shrugged, “It’s called fun Cae you should try it sometime.”

Caelan smiled showing his white fangs and he shook his head, “My idea of fun differs from yours greatly.”

Caelan walked through the exit doors next to the booth where he had been sitting, he had no time for the young vampires that filled the dance floor in the nightclub and did not like it when they stopped him to ask questions. It was not their fault, it was curiosity, and it got the better of them. They were all desperate to know how Caelan had managed to stay alive as long as he had, with a world full of creatures that were so desperate to kill them.

“Where are you going?” Dalton asked suspiciously.

“That my friend, is my business and you will do well to remember your place before you stick your nose in it.” He warned with a growl.

If there was one thing Caelan hated it was when people questioned him. He was going to pay Ava a visit, he had read John’s thoughts as he drank his blood and knew exactly where to find her. He could have easily sent another vampire to kill her, but he wanted to taste her.