Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Ava breathed a huge sigh of relief as Caelan’s house came into view; the drive there had been silent. She was still in shock over Caelan’s killings, and he was brooding over something. “You’re not going to lock me in that room again are you?” she asked as the car came to a stop.

Caelan cut the engine and opened the door, “No.”

Ava wasn’t going to bother asking him anything else, she had watched him murder three people tonight, and he had enjoyed himself. She didn’t know what made her feel more sick, the fact he was at his most playful whilst he was killing, or that she was still so attracted to him.

Caelan opened the door and waited for Ava to go in before him, she was surprised that he actually knew how to behave like a gentleman, but he clearly had some manners. Once they were inside she followed him into a dining room that had a table that was big enough for twenty people, yet he didn’t strike her as the kind that entertained much.

“You will see a few people in this house, they aren’t vampires. They are humans that work for me, if you want anything all you have to do is ask. You have already met one of them, try not to attack anymore.” He said as he grabbed some glasses and a bottle from the cabinet.

“Drink?” he asked as he poured one and knocked it back.

Ava was curious as he drank it, and poured another, “What is it?” she asked suspiciously.

She shuddered as he smirked coldly at her and moved towards her, the way he moved with such animalistic grace was both terrifying and amazing at the same time. “It’s not blood, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

He placed a glass down in front of her and poured her one, before knocking back his third glass. She took the glass from the table, and put it to her lips; she was scared as she watched him watch her with a smirk.

“You’re too trusting,” he whispered as she drank slowly.

“It’s brandy?” she asked in surprise.

Caelan nodded, “We do drink you know,” he told her, “It doesn’t get us into the states you humans get into, but it has a calming effect on us.”

Ava nodded slowly, she knew she still had a lot to learn about vampires, but then she realised what he had just said about it calming him down, “Why do you need calming down?” she asked as she took another sip.