Chapter 12: Missed Calls

Chapter 12

*Alexa Shiffer*

I couldn't stop thinking about that night for the rest of the weekend. What was it supposed to mean? I was so sure that it wasn't a date, yet it felt awfully close to one. It was just two friends going out to the movies, right?

Usually, we always have something to talk about, even if it is about the most random things we can think of, but last night, it was the first time we didn't know what to say. You would have thought it would have been the opposite, considering Lucas' new and reformed attitude.

Yeah, what was up with that?

One minute he's timid and shy, next, he's oozing confidence. And he definitely didn't seem to be holding back when he touched my leg in the car. Did it feel as awkward for him as it did for me?

Another thing I noticed was that he was never really fully concentrated when we were outside. He seemed all twitchy and wary as if he knew someone was watching us. Was he embarrassed or something?

Well, it was no point pondering over this when I had a stack of school work still to do and had to babysit my next door neighbour's toddler tonight.

Also, I had about 10 missed calls fron Jordan, what did he want now? I already had too much on my plate, I obviously didn't need anything else on top of that.

The real test would be going back to school tomorrow.

Would Lucas go back to being 'himself' or would he suddenly have no time left for us with his new confidence? And now, I felt it my role to find out what had caused this change..

*Jordan Simpson*

Seriously! Why wouldn't Alexa answer any of her calls? I tried her number about ten times. Is she purposely ignoring me or did she get a new number? I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if she got a new number and didn't tell me; we weren't exactly the best of friends. Just yet.

That was why I needed to talk to her. We were supposedly going out but never actually went out. It had literally been talking now and then in classes but now thinking about it, we hardly knew eachother let alone on the level of boyfriend-girlfriend.

People would start asking questions. Then Jasmine would get suspicious. And I couldn't let that happen. She thinks me and Alexa are a couple, and as long as she thinks that, she can't get revenge.

She wants to humiliate me like I humiliated her but she can't dump me if we're not going out. And I don't think even Jasmine would go for a taken guy.. Then again.. Jasmine was unpredictable- you never knew what she was going to do next.

That's why I had to keep her at a distance. But what about the saying 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'? I didn't understand that. Or maybe it's just that Jasmine defies them all.

I tried Alexa's phone one more time.

Nothing. Looks like I'll just have to go over there myself..

~*~

*Alexa Shiffer*

I was halfway through my history homework when I got a phone call from someone other than Jordan.

"Hey Natalie, what's up. You have no idea how happy I am for an excuse to stop my homework"

"Hey Alexa! I've done all my work for today so I was just wondering if-"

*Knock*

"Oh, one minute Nat, someone's at the door". Who could that be? My parents were out so I was at home on my own. Surprise surprise. Maybe they had come home early-from wherever they were.