V Leo: A Hero Means Hope

Hey guys! I'm back! I feel terrible for taking so long to update, but here you go! Btw this chapter may contain some feels. Also, I think I'm going to try adding chapter titles.

Leo was worried for Percy, beyond the obvious. He knew being possessed by Queen Dirt Face herself must be awful, but Leo was sure it was something else that was bothering him about Percy. Maybe it was instinct, but just the way he reacted to the whole thing seemed off. Seemed, unPercyish. Of course, he was no expert, and he had to cut the guy some slack, he had just been through Tartarus for Hades's sake, but maybe that was just it.

Tartarus.

It had definitely changed Nico. It had changed Annabeth. Only Percy seemed to be the one unaffected by the horrors he had seen down there. As soon as he was back on the ship he was making jokes and trying to convince the rest of us to let him take night watch. Of course we all knew something must have been going on because who could come back from Tartarus and still be exactly the same as they were before. Even Nico didn't, and he was a child of the underworld.

Leo didn't know what possessed him to do it, maybe it was an eidolon because he didn't know why he felt the need to see Percy. Suddenly though, without making a conscious decision, Leo stood up from his crouching position next to the engines and walked up the stairs into the hall, and continued until he reached the infirmary. He opened the door and walked in, glancing around to find the cot Percy was in. He was surprised to find Percy sitting up in bed, facing away from the door.

Leo cleared his throat. Gaining no response he spoke to the still figure, shadowed by the darkness in the room. "Um, Percy?"

"What." was the single word response he got in return. Realizing he didn't exactly know why he was here, he moved forward until he was sitting on the cot behind Percy. They stayed that way for a couple minutes, the tension evident in the dark room. Leo set his fingers on fire idly and watched the flames dance across his fingers in a mesmerizing pattern.

"Does it ever bother you?" Percy asked suddenly in a low voice, startling Leo into setting out the flame.

"Does what ever bother me." Leo replied cautiously, trying not to make Percy relapse into silence. Percy didn't respond for a second, as though thinking over his response carefully.

"I can see it you know. The way you look when you think no one notices. The way you always seem to be working on that sphere." Leo started in surprise.

"W-What?" Leo stuttered, trying to sound natural, "I don't know what you mean, that whole Gaia thing must have taken more out of you than you thought. Maybe Tartarus is starting to affect you, man." Percy tensed at the mention of Tartarus, his whole body suddenly going on guard.

"It's not affecting me." Percy said quietly. Leo frowned slightly at Percy's defensive answer.

"Are you sure? It affected Annabeth and Nico, you're the only one who's acting like nothing ever happened, like nothing's ever wrong." Leo tried, hoping to get some answers, now determined to find out what was wrong with Percy, for he was sure something was up.

"I said I'm fine Leo!" Percy snapped. He turned around and glared for a moment before his face softened. He gave a weak smile, "sorry 'bout that man. Saving the world does tend to add a bit of stress to one's shoulders."

Leo attempted a smile too, but it seemed off, almost as if his face was refusing to perform the necessary actions required to make a smile.  "Yeah I know what you mean." Then they lapsed into a somewhat awkward silence. "You know being the hero isn't quite like what I expected." Leo began suddenly. He didn't know what he was saying, just babbling to fill the empty air. "I mean, all those stories you read when you're a kid, they made it seem easy. Just you get a quest, you set off, you complete it, save the day while you're at it, and make it home in time for dinner. No inconveniences, no trauma, no heartache..." Leo hesitated slightly, but continued anyways, "I mean, Hades, even the stories back at Camp Half-Blood  made it seem like all those quests you went on were simple to you. You always managed to save the day. I just don't know if I can live up to that you know?"

Percy looked both confused and sad. "I'm not a hero. I was never the hero. It was all everybody else. Everybody who...who didn't make it. Friends...and enemies, and even a Giant and a Titan." Percy choked over that, looking on the verge of tears, which was probably the closest Leo had ever seen him to crying, "but some did." Percy continued, "Some did make it, like Annabeth, and Grover, and Nico, and so many others. But it definitely doesn't come without a cost. I've lost people, I've lost too many people, good people who didn't deserve what they ended up with. Their song ended, but the story continued, and it never stops, but I wish it would sometimes. Just stop and mourn, but it can't because everyone else has to keep fighting. We have to keep fighting. I have to keep fighting, and I don't think I'll ever get to stop. I'm not a hero, but I'm a soldier, and I'll be damned if I stop fighting anytime soon."

Leo's eyes were wide and his mouth was gaping slightly. "You, not a hero? You! Of all people to not call a hero, you are most definitely not one of them! Heroes are someone you believe in. Being a hero means standing up, saying no, fighting back. It means people believe in you to help them, and of course you can't refuse, and so you do, don't you. You help and help, never once thinking twice about it. And that's being a hero. A hero means salvation. A hero means hope."

Percy looked at Leo with gratitude. He didn't say anything, but his expression conveyed more than words ever could. 'Maybe I'll be able to get this hero thing after all.' He thought. He yawned suddenly, his exhaustion finally catching up with him. "I'm going to head off to bed" he stated, and got up, walking to the door. He opened and was about to leave the room and shut it, before he paused. He turned around. "'Night Percy."

Percy gave a smile, a small smile, but it was definitely genuine. That at least was a start. "Goodnight. And thank you." Leo nodded and walked out.

Perhaps he was a hero. After all, a hero means hope.

Okay so that was kind of short, but the next one should definitely be longer, and I'm also trying really hard to make more time for writing. Problem is I'm writing for my friends birthday which is at the end of this month, and I'm not finished yet. So, that takes top priority, but we get a three day weekend so hopefully I'll get a little more time. Also, the Science Fair is over! Yay! Maybe more time to write from those quarters too! Anyways, till next time guys!

-RangerLizzyTreaty48