VI Piper: The Bane of the Sea God

I've updated! Yay! Btw could you guys comment whether you like this cover better or the one I'm using right now? Thanks! Okay, to the story!

The day after the incident with Gaia, Leo seemed to be happier. He had a spring in his step that had been missing ever since he had gotten back from being thrown off the ship. Although, Piper thought, no one actually knew where he had been. He hadn't even told her! His best friend! She wouldn't push it though: if he wanted to talk, he would.

They were eating breakfast in the mess hall, and everything seemed absurdly normal. Percy and Annabeth were next to each other, across the table from her. Percy's arm was slung over Annabeth's shoulder, and she was laughing at something he had whispered in her ear. He watched her affectionately as her face lit up and she started rambling about some architectural design she had been working on.

Piper's gaze then traveled to the end of the table where Frank sat with Hazel. They had been on watch last night and both looked rather tired. Well, more tired than usual, since everyone on the ship was sleep deprived to some extent. Hazel leaned her head on Frank's shoulder as he blushed slightly, eating his breakfast with his left hand so as not to disturb her head.

Next she watched Leo and Jason as they argued from their positions on either side of her. She thought their argument had something to do with who was better: Batman or Superman. She gave out a slight chuckle at their antics. Jason was leaning on the table, blue eyes electric, and a smile working its way onto his handsome face. It's only scar the one on his lip. Leo on the other hand, was fully immersed in the conversation, completely devoted to making Jason see that "of course Batman is better, he can save the day without powers. Only Annabeth can do that!" His brown curly hair was tangled, and his eyes were alight with mischief.

Piper felt content. Of course, she should have known it couldn't last.

After breakfast, everyone lounged on the deck. Jason and Frank were sparring, teaching each other different techniques. Leo was behind the wheel, or more correctly, the wii remote. He was waving it absentmindedly, while checking the control panel for gods knows what. Percy sat on the railing at the bow with Annabeth, or more correctly, Percy sat on the railing while Annabeth stood beside him on the deck. They weren't talking, more just enjoying each other's presence while Percy willed the ocean to speed them along. She was sitting next to Hazel, just chatting about trivial matters that didn't help the quest, but helped them feel normal for a few moments. This felt normal: just a group of friends hanging out.

And that's when everything went to Hades.

"Percy there's something on the radar!" Leo yelled, "Something massive!" Percy's face scrunched up in concentration before he gasped and slid off the railing, landing on the deck. His face had paled and he looked visibly shaken.

"What's wrong?" Annabeth prompted, holding Percy's arm and turning him so he was facing her. "Percy tell me what's wrong. What's in the water?"

Percy gulped before answering shakily, "Polybotes. Polybotes is here." Then the whole ship vibrated. The hull creaked, and the water exploded. By then, everyone had their weapons, which were never far from reach, in hand. Percy had uncapped Riptide and wore a grim expression. Everyone was completely soaked by the spray from the descending water except Percy who stood at the head of the group, as calm as the eye of the storm.

The giant that emerged from the ocean was huge. Of course, it was a giant so that was to be expected, but Polybotes was massive. He had dirty, twisted green hair that hung over his shoulders in a mop, and which held weapons of all kinds. His clothes were nothing but rags, which lead very little to the imagination. The worst part though, was his face. The smile was cruel and twisted on the giant's enormous face. The eyes were a dark, sickly looking, green which stood out the most, and made Piper want to be sick.