Chapter 3

It had been two weeks since Allen's disappearance, but Lenalee just knew that he was alive. He had to be, they couldn't just lose him as soon as they had regained him back. Besides, Allen was strong, he wouldn't just give up, would he? Yes, that's right, Allen was strong he wold not just give up. A wide smile decorated the Chinese girls face lighting her face up in joy. The wind in her hair was no longer bitter and she was no longer trembling. With renewed vigor, she went on a walk to brighten up her mood even more.

It wouldn't be long until they find the Exorcist, as long as Allen tried to get out and the Black Order tried with all their might as well, they were going to find him against all odds.

He might already be dead, a snide voice whispered into her thoughts. The small jump that was in her steps faltered and her smile lost its brightness. She shook her head, discarded that thought and went along.

She walked along to boats railings enjoying the sea air. It had taken her a while to get back into this state, or, well, in a better state then she was in before. For the most part, the soreness had gone down gradually and her innocence decided to cool down on the 'wow' factor.

"Lenalee!" Lenalee turned around at the sound if Lavi's voice. She looked up at him innocently and waited for him to say something. Lavi looked away shyly and handed her a piece a paper that he had retrieved from his coat. The slight shyness gone, Lavi looked at Lenalee, seeming happier than he had been for the previous two weeks.

"I found a lead on where we might find Allen." Lenalee stared at Lavi with disbelief as unconstrained hope rose to fill her. Sure, they were currently heading to Africa, there had been a rumor of a white-haired hero, but it was just a rumor. To actually find a lead with Lavi looking this certain was something Lenalee could not just pass up.

「」

Allen stared at nothing. After all, he was nothing now to, being told that he was being used as bait to lure them and kill them, to kill his friends. All because he let himself get caught. He just couldn't stand it, he was so close to giving up especially with the Millenium Earl making more frequent visits. He hadn't done anything although Allen felt something off about the Earl's intentions. Needless to say, it scared him.

He gulped, the pain on his forehead was dull and Allen thanked God that his wrists were now chained to the bitter floor as well; otherwise he would have inflicted more injuries than he currently needed. He let out a heavy breath, his chest straining as he took in the next one. He was drowsy and everything seemed very languid and slow. His eyes were half lidded the effort to keep them open being far too much. The pain on his forehead was close to fading and Allen was close to finally being able to sleep soundly for the first time in-

How long had it been?

A long time, yeah, a long time. Allen's eyes started fluttering close and he started fighting for the small ray of hope that he knew how long it had been. This wasn't like him, he always knew what time it was no matter what. What was so different now? Obviously, today was... Today was... Allen took in a steadying breath as he fell into a peaceful slumber.

「」

"Lavi, are you sure it was this place?" Lenalee asked as she glanced around the vibrant town and just as vibrant people. Lenalee had pictured a dark abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods, moss crawling up the walls of the cabin both inside and out and at the very least, a way into the ark somehow. The new one that is, the previous happened to destroy itself and they all still clung to that hope that Allen had escaped the crumbling ark in some way. But this was definitely not expected. A town that seemed to radiate light was definitely not corresponding to her dark imaginings and needless to say, that made her feel slightly guilty.

What am I doing? Thinking negatively like that is going to do me no good, if Allen escaped, of course he was going to be in a place with a lot of people. A place with a lot of people attracts a lot of akuma and it's his job to save them.

Even as this went through her head, she still couldn't help but feel uneasy about this certain lead.

"Lenalee!"

Lenalee whipped her head around, hoping that that voice belonged to Allen; however, she was slightly disappointed to find Lavi instead. The disappointment then turned to guilt, it wasn't Lavi's fault, she had not right to feel something so, so-

Something so mean, towards one of her beloved friends. It wasn't Lavi's fault. It wasn't his fault. It wasn't his fault...

「」

Lavi reached Lenalee, stopping his run to catch up with her. He glanced at her to see her eyes pained and somewhere else. Lavi hesitated to snap her out of her reverie unsure if the consequences. He slowly reached out his arms to grab Lenalee's shoulder and was close to touching her when-

Lenalee snapped out of it startling Lavi off balance, making him land on his bottom. Lavi winced and let out a small cry of pain. Lenalee herself looked startled and immediately started to apologize for Lavi's misfortune.

"Lavi! I'm sorry!" She gasped. Lavi heaved in a breath, slowly, he got up and smiled weakly at Lenalee.

"It's okay, I'm okay, are you okay?" Lavi was hunched over, his hand on Lenalee's shoulders. He took in one more breath and put one hand on his hip, a wide smile across his face.

"I'm okay." With that, he walked away, both hands behind his head but it was evident, Lavi was not okay.