T H R E E

"You shouldn't be out here by yourself."

Sam Uley stepped closer to his younger sister, cautiously watching as she stood near the waterfall. Her arms crossed over one another and one leg stuck out as she stared at the water, Violet intentionally staying silent.

She was a hard one to track when she didn't want to be found, especially since her smell was so attuned to the elements of the earth. Luckily Sam knew her favorite place to think, a place she had only ever taken him.

Violet turned around, her brown eyes now filled with rapid thoughts, ones Sam couldn't decipher. She could see tears on the brink of overflowing as she kept still, her hands grasping tightly at her biceps.

"Do you remember the day you found out about Jacob and I?" Her soft, frail voice spoke out. She had completely ignored his past statement, barely even hearing his words as her mind kept revolving.

Sam was a little confused at his younger sisters statement, however, his mind did instantly go back. How could he not remember that day, it was quite possibly the only time he had ever lost his composure. He had been around 19 then, already working a steady job and soon to be graduating, Vi had only been 15 and she was innocent. She didn't have very many female friends, many of her classes filled with the young boys. Sam had known that Jake had liked his sister, the boy following her around like a lost puppy and smiling brightly at her wherever they went. He even remembered one of the rare times he had fought with her and she had runaway right before dinner, she had gone straight to Jakes.

Anyways, he thought back to that day. The older sibling worked a steady job at the local mechanic shop, back then simply handling the paperwork and occasionally a trainee, that day he had been let out early. Sam very rarely saw his younger sister then considering when he wasn't in school he was at work and even then he would get home until late hours in the evening. He had bought a pizza and other delicacies as well as an array of movies, the plan being to spend the whole day watching them with his sister. Patiently he had waited for her to get home, standing by the window when the clock began ticking into the late afternoon.

He was just about to head out and possibly hunt down his younger sister when her soft giggles stopped him in his tracks. The sounds peaked his interest considering she very rarely giggled since their father had left and much less after their mother had passed away. Laugh yes, the girl with brilliant brown eyes was able to laugh at the simplest of jokes her brother said aloud but a giggle so innocent and pure, well that was as rare as a meteorite shower.

Same had been quick to bound towards the nearest blinds, barely breaking them apart for him to see. There she stood, and she wasn't alone. Violet, with her long, dark brown hair, the very girl who threatened Sam with a frying pan on a daily basis, was blushing deeply and tucking her hair behind her ear with the shyest of smiles. She looked towards her feet, avoiding the taller boys loving eyes. Sam could feel bile and anger rise in him, the feel personified when Jacob tucked his fingers underneath her chin and lifted his sisters innocent face. The little bastard kissed his sister, catching her off guard entirely.

Sam hadn't stopped to notice how his sister was melting into the kiss, or how her knees were wobbling in excitement. He had been far too consumed with anger, this was too soon, he hadn't been prepared for all of this. His sister shouldn't have been going through this yet and he most certainly shouldn't have had to witness it.

His hand shot out, practically ripping their front door off its hinges and letting the loud sound reach the young couple a few short yards from him.