Making Friends: Part 2

During the period of morning before classes started, Adrien, Nino and I were finalizing our plans to play video games at Adrien's house later tonight.

"Wait, so, tell me again why your father, the man who practically banned me from your house, is letting us come there to play video games?"

"He said he'd lift the ban for tonight at least because he wants to meet Jasper. He has a really strange interest in you, actually." Adrien looks at me with amazement, like I had caused a natural phenomenon. Considering what I have heard from these two about his father, I guess I have. I flip my notebook open to a page and tap the word I was looking for with my pencil.

"Why?" It read, to which Adrien sighs and shrugs.

"He said something about how he's never met a person with white hair and red eyes before, and how he wants to see if any of his designs would look good on someone with your coloring."

"Seriously? But then why is he okay with me being there? Not that I'm complaining." Nino asks, looking confused and a little worried.

Adrien shrugs once again, "Maybe that run in with Simon Says changed his mind about you?"

"I don't know man, he didn't look all that please with me."

At the mention of this "Simon Says" person, I frown and write in my notebook, holding it up for them to see. "Who's Simon Says?"

Adrien and Nino blink as they read the note, and confusion passes over their faces before realization dawns in their eyes."Oh yeah, you missed quite a few Akuma attacks!" Adrien says in surprise, as if just remembering I was new to Paris in general. Well, at least I seem to fit in well.

"Simon Says was this hypnotist who got akumatized and went after Adrien's old man. Stormed past his houses defenses and everything! He could hypnotize people to do whatever he wanted."

"Geez, that must have been scary." I write down, wondering just how many Akuma attacks I had missed.

"I guess, but Ladybug and Chat Noir handled the situation well, although Chat Noir seemed kind of out of it." At that, Adrien seems to be just a tiny bit more nervous for a second, quick enough I almost don't catch it. I feel Neeks shift around slightly in my jacket, as if he was sensing something.

"Who knows? Either way, it's done and they saved the day again, isn't that what matters most?"

Nino and I nod at this, finishing the conversation, and together we go off to class since it was about time to start.

---------

After the morning classes, it was time for lunch, and I had Nino and Adrien go off without me because I was going to go to my house to eat and check up on Mom. I was leaving the classroom when Chloe and her "goons", as I like to call them, cornered me in the hall.

Her goons, if you are wondering, are pretty much Sabrina and Kim. Why Kim follows her, I'll never know. Or, maybe I'll find out, but either way I won't care.

"Come on, freak, this charade of yours has gone on long enough! Stop pretending that you can't speak!"

I flip to a page in my notebook I made specially for these encounters and show it to her. "Chloe, I really can't speak! Just leave me alone, will you?"

She laughs that annoying laugh of hers and leans in close. "I know you're lying! You just want Adrien's attention! Once I expose you for the liar you are, he'll leave you in the dust!"

My eyes widen momentarily and I barely contain a laugh, "Wait, are you jealous?" I write, making her angry enough to knock my notebook out of my hands. I cringe slightly as I hear it hit the floor, knowing that the pages it landed on were going to be folded and crushed. I really hate when that happens.

"No, I'm not! Who would be jealous of a freak of nature like you!" She screeches in anger, stomping her foot down.

"Leave him alone, Chloe!" My eyes widen once again as I hear Marinette's voice, making me look towards where she and Alya are.

"No one asked you, Marinette!"

"That may be so, but I highly doubt Principle Damocles is going to let this bullying act slide. Jasper seems to be a favorite of the teachers here." Alya says with a smirk as she waves her phone around, a video of the confrontation on the screen.

Immediately Kim steps away and goes off somewhere else, giving me a chance to pick up my notebook and leave my spot against the wall as Chloe screeches in irritation. "You can't touch me! Daddy will hear about this!"

"On the contrary, I don't think daddy dearest will appreciate his daughter bullying someone who can't defend himself."

I quietly giggle, the sound weak and scratchy. Chloe gasps and points at me, grinning. "See, he does talk! He is lying!"

I frown, shaking my head and flipping back to the page that spoke about my condition. I tap the area where it said I could make some sounds right in front of her face as if emphasizing what I was trying to point out, before moving it back to a more reasonable distance.

"That wasn't even talking, Chloe! That was a laugh!" Marinette exclaims with a sigh.

Chloe flushes red and stomps her foot down, annoyed. "I will catch you lying! You can't fool me, you- you...." She trails off, apparently unable to come up with some insult to call me before turning and storming off to go find another poor soul to attack.

When she's gone I burst into laughter, the sound honestly not that much louder than my giggle from before. After a few seconds, the girls join in, and we are all laughing. Soon however, the scratchy attempt at a laugh becomes a painful burn, causing me to cough instead.

I feel a hand be placed on my back, gently rubbing it. "Are you okay, Jasper?" Alya asks, eyes worried.

I nod and clear my throat, coughing one last time and rubbing my throat. Well, that was painful. Fun, but painful. I look around and spot a nearby water fountain, so I start walking to it and get a drink, visibly sighing as the cool water runs down my throat.

"What's Chloe's deal? She can't seriously think you're lying about not talking, can she?"

I write in my notebook once I finish drinking, "She thinks I'm seeking attention from Adrien. Which I'm not... I didn't even know who he was until I came to school here!"

"He does seem to like you, though. Why is that?" I shrug, before writing once again.

"Who knows? Ask him yourself and you might get a better answer." I show them the notebook, checking my phone for the time as they read it. After a few moments I start to write again, "I have to go, see you in class, and thank you for helping get Chloe off my back." I wave and run off after showing them my notebook and making sure they had a few seconds to read it.

"No problem, Jasper! Just let us know if you need anymore help, okay?" Marinette yells to make sure I hear. I hold up a thumbs up to let her know I heard since I was already late enough, and hold my notebook close to my chest as I run home.

I enter my apartment and set my bag on the ground next to the door, looking to see if mom was out of her studio yet. Not seeing her in the kitchen or living room, I sigh, shaking my head with a small smile on my face. Once again my mom is in that stage of her work where she forgets to eat once she's got an idea and acts upon it. I roll up my sleeves and take off my scarf, folding it and neatly laying it on the table. Time to make us some food.

(This was going to be longer but I was already taking too long to get this out here XD sorry for the late update, guys!)