Chp.4

Two weeks later

I slipped on jeans, boots, a tank top, and threw my hair into a messy bun. I just finished barrels with a 15.4 time. A knock came from my camper door.

"What?" I said as I opened it.

"Geez, just wandering if you'd like a pancake." Hunter said with a smile.

    Ever since he helped me with my car battery we've hung out a lot. Mostly just after our we were done for the night. It was nice having some company other than my horse. I love her but sometimes I need some actual words back.

"Come in, knuckle head." I said as I stepped away from the door. He stepped in and made himself comfortable at the table.

"So, I was wondering....me and my buddies are having a fire and I wanted to know if you'd like to come?" He asked as I gulped down my water.

"Sure, ain't got nothin better to do." I said, shrugging.

"Okay, it's going to be at lot J4." He said, his mouth full of pancakes. I smiled and shook my head, leaning my hip against the counter. He caught my smile and smirked, swallowing the food in his mouth and leaning back.

"Okay, bull riding today?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Nope, tomorrow." I nodded. My phone rang. I frowned as I grabbed it off the bed while Hunter went on to eat the rest of his pancakes.

"Hello?" I asked, slouching against the counter.

"Hey darlin." The voice that came from the other opened chilled me to the bone and I nearly dropped my phone. I felt every single muscle in my body freeze.

"What do you want?" I asked, my voice wavering as I grabbed the counter for support. I heard a chuckle on the other end, making my skin flush.

"Just wanted to say I'd be around tonight... I want to visit." My knees nearly gave out as he said that. It couldn't be happening. He couldn't be coming back. My knuckles were white, all my weight pressed against the counter. Before I could say anything the line went dead. I placed my phone down with a shaky hand before rubbing my face and pushing my flyaways back. I kept my gaze on the floor, willing myself not to cry. I knew Hunter had caught the change in my attitude but knew better than to say anything.

It was nearly time to go to the bonfire. I slipped on a hoodie, let my hair down, and walked out of my camper, making sure to lock it three times. I was on high alert. Dad said he'd see me very soon. I didn't know how soon. I checked my over my shoulder, my hand gripping my phone in my pocket. I know it sounds cheesy but seriously, I'm scared to death of that man. Just the sight of him chills me to the bone. What he has done to me should put him in jail for life.

    I was practically running to where the party was at and had never been so relieved when I finally reached it.

I walked over and grabbed a water, not wanting to have any alcohol in my system. I was here only to make my appearance known to Hunter and then I was going back to barricade myself in my caper.

     "Hey, Amelia." Hunter said as he walked up, making my nearly jump out of my skin. I glanced up at him before looking again through the crowd.

"Hey." I mumbled, my heart racing. It took every ounce of my willpower just to step foot out of the trailer. I didn't make eye contact, just kept looking through the mass of cowboy hats.

     "Is something wrong?" He asked, grabbing my attention. I brought my eyes up to his worried ones and shook my head. Why did this boy have to be so god dang good at this stuff. I sighed and looked down at my boots, fidgeting. He went to say something else but was cut off.

   "Hey Hunter, come over here!" Some black haired dude yelled.

      "Don't move. I'll be right back." He walked away but kept glancing over his shoulder at me. I turned to find a place to sit when a girl ran into me.

   "I'm so sorry! are you okay?" She asked, stepping away to give me room. Her eyes travelled over me worriedly, searching for any injuries.

"Yea, I'm fine, you?" I asked, doing the same thing. She was small compared to my frame.

"Yea, I'm Molly." She said sticking her hand out and flashing me a big smile. She had long black hair and big brown eyes that complimented her tan skin.

   "Amelia " I said as clasped her hand and shook it. Her smile grew bigger if that was even possible.

"Come on let's go sit down." She said dragging me to the fire. Sitting down I warily looked around for the hundredth time. I caught sight of Hunter but he was still in deep conversation with the guy that called him over.

    "Lookin for someone?" Molly asked, moving her head around to try and find what caught my eye. I whipped my head to her worriedly before calming myself down.

"Nope, you barrel race?" I asked, changing the subject. She met my eyes and kindly smiled before shaking her head.

"Nope, I do breakaway roping." She answered. I nodded my head, glancing around. Again.

"So where ya from?" She asked. I brought my attention to her, deciding it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone nice.

"Florida, you?" I asked.

"Nevada." She answered. "Definitely not as cool as Florida."

    "What's your horses name?" She continued. I smiled at that question. I loved talking about my horse.

"Trixy, yours?" I asked.

"Brandy." She answered. It was kind of like a 20 questions came. We delved deep into conversation asking random questions and just getting to know each other better. After a couple minutes I looked around again and my blood ran cold. There he was, smiling as he watched me through the crowd.

   "Uh...I gotta go, ya mind telling Hunter I went back to my trailer?" I asked, deciding I should make a run for it. Then I wouldn't have to be around all these people if something went down.

"Yea of course! Here's my number. We should definitely hang out sometime." She said, handing me a piece of paper and once again smiling. I flashed her a quick smile and stood up. I didn't see Hunter anywhere and didn't know anyone else enough to have some sort of protection.

"Okay I'll text you later." I said in a rush. I was hoping I could just relax tonight but that's just not how my life works. I fought my way through the crowd, opposite of where I saw him. If I could lose him in the crowd maybe I would have enough time to reach my trailer.