Chp.16

The oh so familiar Volkswagen beeped its horn as it parked next to my truck. Gran and gramps were finally here. I jumped off the couch and raced outside. The cold air whipped my bare arms but I didn't care as a barreled towards them.

"Amelia!" Gran practically screamed as she ran as fast as her 72 year old legs could carry her.

    "Gran!" I squealed as we hugged half way. Her perfume clouded my senses and immediately calmed me down. I squeezed her before stepping away.

"Where's my hug?" Gramps asked. I smiled at him.

"I saved the best for last." I said as he tackled me in a bear hug. He chuckled and leaned back, pulling me off my feet before setting me back down.

"Not trying to be rude, but I want to see the hunk that's taking care of my granddaughter." Gran said as she linked arms with me. I blushed and nodded.

     "Okay, he's in the barn." I smiled as we started walking. Her head seemed to be on a pivot, swinging left and right as she got a view of where I've been living the past six months.

"Hunter?" I yelled through the barn. It was warmer in here since the wind was blocked and I was thankful, already cursing myself for not throwing on a jacket.

"Hay room." He called back. We walked passed a couple stalls and the tack room before reaching the hay room.

"Did you need something love?" He asked as he grabbed the last hay bale and threw it into the pile. When he turned to me he frowned. "Here. You look froze." He said, quickly taking off his flannel and handing it to me to put on, leaving him in his white long sleeve. I smiled up at him as I slipped it on, forgetting only for a moment about my grandparents.

"Just wanted you to meet my grandparents." I answered with a smirk. His eyes widened and he smiled, turning to the door where they were watching us with loving smiles.

"Hi, I'm Hunter Brown." He said sticking his hand out. All of their smiles widened.

"I'm Charlie and this is my wife Mary." Gramps said as he shook his hand.

"Oh my." Is all gran could say. I was with her. I knew from her reaction his ego inflated quite a bit but he just smiled and allowed a blush to crawl up his neck.

"Why don't you show them around while I finish up and then we can go have dinner." Hunter said, turning to me and wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Fine with me." I said with a smile.

"Okay, see you later love." He mumbled as he pecked me on the cheek. 

"Awww." Gran said causing both of us to blush. We shared a smile before we walked away.

      After showing gran the horses I made my way to where gramps and Hunter were.

'So, what's your plans with my granddaughter?" Gramps asked before we rounded the corner. I turned to gran who just put a finger to her lips. Nosy Nellie.

"Nothing that could cause her harm, sir. She's come to be one of, if not the most, important thing in my life." Hunter replied. I smiled to myself.

"Any thoughts of marriage?" Gramps asked. My eyes widened and my smile did too.

"Some sir, but I do not wish to rush her." You could hear the uncomfortableness in Hunter's voice. Gran tapped me on the shoulder saying it was time to move.

   "So, what's for dinner?" She asked as we rounded the corner. Acting as if we were in the middle of a conversation.

"Chili and cornbread." Hunter said as he flashed us a toothy smile. Me and gran broke away and walked towards our lovers. Hunter put his arm over my shoulders and I snuggled into him, glad for some warmth. In response he tightened his arm already me.