Chp.13

An hour later I watched Molly walk through the doors at the Boseman Airport. I yawned.

     "Let me drive home." Hunter said. I looked at him and nodded rubbing my eyes.

      "I want to talk." I said. He nodded knowingly and walked to the driver side. I was beyond exhausted but we needed to do this sometime.

    "Why'd you warn me about Amber?" He finally asked. I knew he'd ask that.

    "Because....I didn't want to see you hurt." I mumbled.

     "Why didn't you want to see me hurt?" He asked, oblivious.

    "Because........when you told me that night you had a girlfriend......the reason I bailed was because I might've still liked you." I squirmed. I hated admitting my feelings. I was never good with talking about that kind of stuff.

    "And the night that I saw you hurt, I knew that I liked you." He answered softly.

    "Then why did you get another girl?" I asked. His jaw clenched.

    "Because I wanted to make you jealous." He said as he rubbed his neck.

      "It worked." I mumbled. I heard a snort come from him and a smile broke out on his face.

         After hooking my truck up to my trailer, it was nearly 1:00 in the morning.

     "I'm gonna hit the hay." I said, yawning.

    "Same, can I talk to you before you leave?" He asked, hope glinting in his eyes. He was standing close, our chests brushing.

   "Sure." I said opening the trailer door. He flashed me a million dollar smile and nodded his head, sticking his hands in his pockets.

    "Night." He said as I shut my door.

I crawled into my bed with the grown cash. Quickly, sleep over took me.

"You scream, I kill you." Dad growled. We were in the woods behind our house. His favorite beating place. He kicked me in the side to show his point. Grabbing my hair, he dragged me over roots, rocks and pine cones. He stopped and dragged his knife across my stomach.

I screamed. I was shaking, sweating, and had been crying. Still crying. I checked my phone. 3:00. I needed someone. I needed Hunter. I didn't care anymore. I felt safe around him. I needed to be with someone I felt safe with. My dad was still out there and I was too hysterical to make coherent thoughts. Throwing back the blankets, I climbed out of the bed and slipped on my slides. Quietly, I creaked open my door and stepped into the rather chilly, night air.

Softly, I knocked on his door. I heard a bed creak and soft mumbling. My breath was still labored and I was still shaking. I heard the click of the door unlock and it swung open. Hunter immediately perked up. His hair was disheveled and his eyes were glazed from being asleep. When his eyes met mine I officially woke up and realized how stupid I was.

      "Amelia, what's wrong?" He asked in his husky voice.

     "I-" I couldn't finish off the sentence before my voice cracked with emotion. Remembering the memory is too much. He stepped out of the doorway to let me in. I walked in, and he shut the door. Turning around he wrapped his arms around me. Crying into his shirt was not how I thought I would act.

       "It's okay." He whispered into my hair again. I buried my head into his shoulder. I should've known this would happen. If I'm sleeping in a bed with someone the nightmares won't hit. I guess molly did more for me while she was asleep than anything.