Chapter One// We're Here

"When will we get there?"

All the windows are rolled down with the music on full blast, a fresh breeze of air breaking through my hair as I gaze into the horizon. My eyes shift over to Nathan who's grin has extended across the whole of his face, the glisten in his eyes shining through the shades of his sun glasses.

"Be patient," he replies for the fifth time this journey. With an over exaggerated sigh, I flick my hair so it doesn't fly back into my eyes.

April in America can be temperamental, so with the temperature hovering between 70-80F, I am making the most of the sun actually deciding to come out today.

Nathan has his arm relaxed on the edge of the open window, eyes on the road speeding down the freeway, his breath steady and content.

"You know I hate surprises." I turn the radio up as the new summer jam starts to play through the speakers built into the car. The sound of Justin Timberlake vibrates the car with a healthy buzz of his music.

"You love them." Nathan nods his head to the rhythm, in time with every drum beat. "Plus, you don't have a choice."

"Yeah I know, you made that evident by the way you told me to pack a bag then we were on the road two hours later." I roll my eyes in his direction, amused yet still rather annoyed he never warned me before hand. It was like in Good Luck Charlie when Ivy made Teddy get into the RV and they went to Vegas New Mexico without her knowing before hand (you can tell how I've spent my free time). "I wish you could have just told me. I didn't know whether to pack for the beach or if we were off to the mountains."

"Don't worry babe, you have packed the right clothes."

Tilting my head in confusion, I frown at his statement. I mainly packed jeans, shorts and T-shirts. This road looks vaguely familiar but from going off normal clothes and a normal looking road, I have no idea where he is taking us.

"Oh my God. Are we going California?" My heart pounds with the instant thought of going to the City of Angels!

Nathan has heard me badgering on about how I would love to go and visit the golden sands on the West Coast. Perhaps he got fed up of me pestering him about it and decided to shut me up by taking me there?

However from the way Nathan laughs with the shake of his head, I lean back into my seat as he finds the idea hilarious. "Babe I love you, but we would be taking the plane if we were going to LA. A car ride from Washington DC to California would take hours upon hours."

He sighs again with his attention back on me, then averts his concentration back onto the road before crashing into the car in front as we roll to a traffic stop.

However despite my fraction of disappointment, he does have a point.

"Are we at least going to somewhere with a beach?" I glance down to my knees, tapping my nails across my phone screen checking the time once more.

"Paige you will love where we are going. I promise you."

Whenever Nathan makes a promise he takes it seriously. I trust him more than I trust myself- I believe that his words are true and take a slow breath as I enjoy the rest of the journey.

"Oh! Turn it up!" Nathan suddenly cheers like a little boy excited to be getting an ice cream at the beach once his favourite song comes on the radio. I smile a knowing smile at his dramatic gestures directing me to the volume button.

"Ok ok, keep your pants on."

I crank the dial round until he motions me to stop. It is almost at maximum volume as he starts to freestyle to the opening riff.