Chapter Eight// Lacy's P.O.V

"I'm busy."

"Lacy, we both know you are probably at home watching TV right now. Come out with us. Don't be a baby." My reflection mirrors the sulk of my lips and the drop of my eyes. "Lacy?"

"Oh yeah, hi." I turn the dial to increase the volume.

"So, you coming?" His voice blasts from the speakers inside the car. I squint as if in pain at how abrupt and loud his voice booms inside the four door vehicle. I turn the dial back around in the opposite direction then locate my eyes back on the road.

"Aron I said I can't. Maybe some other time, ok?"

I don't expect a cheery reply. "Yeah whatever."

His name flashes on the screen in a blink then vanishes, the radio resuming the second the call ends. Joe Jonas sings about how he wants to eat cake by the ocean but not even DNCE can budge my frown.

I shouldn't care what he says. Aron, that is. Not Joe. He was my first celebrity crush since Camp Rock came out, I'd definitely prefer him to be inviting me to hang.

At least his friends are cool and not adrenaline junkies probably going to pressure me into jumping between buildings from roof to roof or going on high speed car races down the freeway.

I am not the type to get into trouble.

Watching my boyfriend get arrested only sounds fun if I hadn't been the one to lie and take the blame. His bad temper and pleadings made me act upon the peer pressure and an hour later it had been my parents coming to collect me from the police station.

I got let off easy but still.

Without the angel on my shoulder, Aron the devil, it is hard to overpower flames too hot to even stand up to, never mind reason with. Paige was my anchor. Her overprotectiveness against harm or punishment helped me calm down into a girl my parents were actually proud of.

That doesn't matter anymore though.

But no matter how many times I deny the truth, I do miss her. Right now I should be celebrating the spring in her back garden, sipping pink lemonade she only buys when I stay. Inside me I know she is returning home to college soon, but here is her home. Too bad I made her wish she was anywhere far from here. Shouting at my best friend over the phone felt the single worst thing I have ever done.

Driving alone in my car into nowhere sure seems like the best punishment for myself right now.

I need to get my mind of all this shit.

Come on Lacy, what isn't boring as fuck.

I have my car, the open road. Think!

Without any hesitation, my foot slams on the gas and in minutes straight I see the rearing sign of the mall peek over the tree tops boardering the entrance. Shopping always helps in any situation. A new skirt or shoes and the world will seem happy again.

I doesn't take me long to find the perfect pair of denim jeans, or a new summer dress. Spending money, notes and coins in exchange for golden bags holding the contents of my new purchases brings me the same joy any other seventeen year old girl does.

It may take two to Tango but with a single credit card it only needs one person to shop.

Forever 21 is my next turn. Through double doors the outlet opens up with manikins welcoming me inside wearing the latest fashions.

"Paige has that shirt." My thoughts spiral from my lips and I clamp my mouth shut immediately. She isn't here. I don't need her here.

To prove my legitimate point, I go and buy myself three new skirts along with a brown suede skirt. Hand clutching the sparkling bag additional to my other two, I head out of the shop with a smile confident and doubtless to the fact I can have a great time alone.