Disclaimer-- blah blah don't own

Chapter 8

Cara has been my only friend for weeks. She visits me every day and we are starting to develop a good relationship.

~One Week Later~

Cara doesn't show up today. Instead I get a new chick.

"Oh, yeah. Cara had more important things to do, so I'll be here from now on." The words sting. I feel betrayed, but I won't show it.

The young woman, dressed in blue, leads me to the bathroom. I need someone to assist me when taking a shower because I am still wearing a cast on my ankle. The woman helps me wrap my cast in plastic. I then hold onto a bar in the shower. When I am done, she helps me with my oxygen. My oxygen cart thing was temporarily replaced while I was in withdrawal by a large machine, that I couldn't tamper with-- they didn't want me to attempt suicide. Now, the lady guard helps me switch out the tanks. She gives me the new canister to hold, while she removes the used one. While she is bent over, I raise the full tank above my head, and bring it down on the back of her head. With her out of the way, I rip the cannula out of my nose amd take off at a run.

The winding halls are a maze. I run for about two seconds, before I realize, that the oxygen tank is actually important. I keep going, despite the fact that I can't breathe. Before I've even reached the end of the hallway, I collapse. I know from first hand experience, suffocating is painful.

When I awake, Jeanine is standing above me.
"Well, well. Melanie, I always took you for a smart individual. Apparently you are more Dauntless than I thought." Her words anger me. I have taken crap from everyone I know since I was born. I am getting tired of people belittling me and treating me like garbage.

"Go to hell, bitch." I growl at her. She just laughs.

"Oh, Melanie. You are just so funny. You are forgetting that I have the upper hand" She holds up a vile of orange serum. "This particular serum just so happens to work on Divergents. It caused unimaginable pain." Really? Did she just say that? I think, that I have felt all imaginable pain. Jeanine grins evilly as she injects the serum into my neck.

Immediately, pain flares up in every single molecule in my body, but I don't react. I am done with pain. I am done with fear. None of it is worth it. Life is nothing compared to the haven that is death. Death is safe, death is consistent, it is the only thing that I can be sure of. Compared to the vastness of death, life is but a speck of dust. Life is just dying in slow motion. We spend our lives in pain and fear, but I won't-- not anymore. I lay on the table, un reacting. My body feels pain, but my mind is blank, and thus feels nothing. The past, present and future do not matter. Nothing, not even God matters. I am separate from all of it. I am nothing, the world is nothing. The only Something is death.

Jeanine's face falls, when I don't even twitch. She orders another syringe, and injects me again. Nothing. I am spiraling through oblivion. I have no body, only a mind. Nothing can hurt me. I fear nothing, not even Eric. This is the true secret to life: Death the only promise.

"What is this?" Jeanine is throwing a hissy fit in the corner. "Why isn't she reacting?" A scientist dude tells her that my brain is registering pain, however, something else is stopping my muscles from reacting the natural way. "What have you done? What?!" Jeanine is practically spitting in my face, now.

"Fear and pain are illusions. Death is the only reality." I say calmly, which ticks her off even more.

"Shut up! That is all just illogical blabbering. There must be a scientific answer!" Erudite madness fills her face. She rips my cannula away. "Fine, death will be your reality. You can sit there and suffocate slowly, while I watch." She grins, as though being faced with actual death will change my mind. Instead I simply breathe out, releasing much of the air out of my lungs.

"I embrace death, it was promised to me at birth, and now, He will keep his promise." I say with my last breath.

I awake in a hospital bed. Huh, the afterlife is strangely familiar. I blink, and Caleb Prior is standing next to me.
"Nice to see you awake. You have visitors." Tris and Four walk in.

"Beatrice, Tobias?" I look at them quizzically. They stiffen at the sound of their old names.

"How do you know our names?"

"My father." They nod, understanding.

"What happened, what is going on?"

"Well, Jeanine had a heart attack, after you passed out, so one of the other scientists hooked you back up to oxygen. Jeanine, died, fortunately. Caleb has been taking care of you lately." They take turns filling in details.

"Do you know if I can come back to Dauntless?" I am nervous, because I am pretty sure that I know their answer.

"Yes, actually. We got all of the leaders kicked out on charges of corruption and assault, so now, Tobias, and I are the only two leaders. We are going to change Dauntless back." Tris sounds excited.

A/N: Hi, sorry for interrupting the story, but it would mean a lot if you would vote and comment on the book. 😀 Of course, if you hate it, then don't. Sorry for the junk about death. I was out of any ideas, so garbage started to flow. I promise it gets better. Please keep reading. Pretty please. Most of my readers have stopped here. I promise it gets better.