25

NOT EDITED

On still shaky legs, Sapphire made her way towards the bar, hoping that the sudden rush of anxiety did not show up on her face. I can do this. She told herself as she ordered herself a glass of champagne. Alcohol was what she needed right now. A little boost of confidence is what she needed to clear her thoughts. "Thanks." she murmured to the bartender as he handed her drink.

Taking a wide sip of the sparkling liquid, she savoured the rich taste of the expensive champagne. "Ms Rodriguez." a not so familiar voice spoke up making her turn around. "Yes?" she asked awkwardly as she stared at the young red headed girl who stared back at her with a nervous look on her face. "C..Can I talk to you for a minute?"she asked hesitantly.

"Of course." she replied with a polite smile. "Can we go somewhere private? I mean..." she gave her a hesitant look. Something was wrong. Sapphire understood. The girl kept glancing back at Noel who was busy talking to a group of men. She studied the girl from head to toe and couldn't help but wonder how out of the place she looked.

She was dressed in a pair of old faded jeans and a white button up shirt, that was most probably two sizes bigger then her. Her skin was as pale as paper and her flame red hair looked dull and lifeless. Her wide blue eyes looked strained and scared. She had bags under her eyes and her lips were thin and lacked colour.

"Sure." she said awkwardly as she placed her glass on the bar counter and stepped out of her stool. "Please follow me." she instructed and lead the girl to one of the unoccupied balconies. "Now tell me, what's your name?" she asked as she studied her face. "He..Heather...Heather Parker."

"What can I do for you Heather? If I can call you that." she flashed her a weak smile and nodded. "Of course." she squeaked. "Now tell me, what is it you wanted to talk to me about?" the girl looked nervous as she opened and closed her mouth, unable to utter a single word. "Heather, You don't have to be scared. Tell me."

Taking a deep breath she nodded, "I...I.." she took another deep breath. "I want you to call off the wedding." Sapphire stared at her with confusion. "Excuse me?" A shadow of fear appeared on her face and she took a step back, as if regretting asking her such a thing. "I...I..I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" she tried to turn on her heels and make a run but she grabbed her by her arm.

"What is it Heather? Tell me. And don't dare run away from me." she warned using her motherly tone that generally worked on her boys. "Tell me Heather, why do you want me to call off the wedding?" Sapphire had a urge to tell her that she need not worry and the wedding was anyway going to be called off. But right now she needed to know why does this girl wanted her to call off the wedding.

"I...I'm pregnant." she looked up at her with wide eyes. "You mean you and Noel." she nodded. Sapphire didn't say anything for a minute as she studied her face. The girl looked paler then she had been when she had first arrived. "Does he know?" she asked in cool yet serious tone. She nodded, "Yes, but he.." tears rolled down her cheeks and she immediately looked away not wanting to cry in front of a stranger.

Sapphire clenched her fists as she tried to suppress her anger. That son of a bitch, how could he be so heartless? How could a man refuse to aid his own child? "What did he say?" she asked. Heather hesitated for a moment as she stared at her with uneasy expression. "He said what we did was a mistake and he has nothing to do with me or my..."

Sapphire stared at her in disbelief, she knew Noel had already lost his soul. But this, she hadn't expected. Taking a deep breath she said, "Tell me everything." Heather let out a heavy sigh and nodded. "I used to work here as a kitchen staff when I first met him. He was so nice to me. He made me believe that we were..."