Chapter 17: School Supplies

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Jannah's P.O.V

I was back at my mother's house but this time, without Mariam. I stood in her room, staring at the empty closet that held so many memories. This room was my safe haven for years. This is where I would run to when my mother shouted at me. This is where I would cry when things were too tough to bear. This is where I'd sleep when I had nightmares.

It was now abandoned. My sister and her clothes, bedding and decor were gone and off to a new start.

I chuckled at the memory of her voice, telling me that I'd be okay. I believed her then but now, I was uncertain. I mean, my sister was so much of me. She encouraged, supported, comforted and scolded me. She was the replacement when my mom neglected her responsibilities. She was my role model.

I wiped the tear streaking down my cheek and smiled. I had been foolish enough to believe that my sister and I had more time together. When she first got married, I laid out a list of all the things I wanted us to do before she and Abdallah got their own place but I planned and Allah planned and as we all know, Allah is the best of planners.

I walked out and closed the door behind me. My mother was cooking up numerous meals for her friend's wedding and I intentionally avoided her. She was stressing out and I didn't want to be her mental punching bag for the day.

Instead, I spent the day getting ready for my second semester of university. It was my second year so I wasn't nervous but I still needed to put myself in the right state of mind. When I noticed that I was missing a few things, I decided to buy some last-minute school supplies.

"Mom, I have to get some school supplies." I told her, zipping up my coat.

She looked up from the steamed vegetables she was prodding at and raised an eyebrow. "With what money?" She pressed.

"Mine. I have a job." I reminded.

"If doing henna for girls is a job to you, there are a lot of things you need to fix up before getting married. It's quite immature." She said sharply before looking at the digital clock on top of the microwave. "It's late."

I frowned. "Well, it's how I make my income. Anyways, it's only 3pm. I'm getting school supplies." I told her. She sighed and waved me off.

The sun was low on the horizon. Because it was winter, sunset crept around quickly. I had to make sure I was home and safe before then. I took the bus downtown, getting off next to 'The Tea Shop'. I rubbed the fog off of the store's window to see Warsan, snoring over the counter. I strolled in, looking around cautiously. As usual, the place was empty.

"Warsan." I whispered, poking her cheek.

She jumped up in fright, screaming at the top of her lungs. Once she saw it was me, she threw a few tea packets in my direction angrily. "Hey! That's not funny, Jannah!"

I watched her suspiciously as she huffed and patted her uniform down. "Why are you sleeping on the job?" I questioned.

Warsan bit her lip. "I was up last night watching a scary movie with my older brother and when I tried to go to sleep, I couldn't." She said quietly. I leaned forward to see the prominent bags under her brown eyes. "I know, I look terrible."

"You shouldn't be watching stuff like that, Warsan." I scolded her. "It's not good for someone like you." I added, picking the tea bags off the floor and handing them back to her.

"I'm so embarrassed! I'm sorry." Warsan was silent for a moment. "Have you done anything about Dawud's Ex?"

I shook my head. "I don't know what to do. I've been on edge." I admitted.

"That's reasonable. I mean, she could actually make him fall in love with her again. And from the way you described her looks, I wouldn't be surprised if she did. You're not worried that she will?" Warsan asked absentmindedly. I stared at her in surprise. "Hey! Don't look at me like that! What do you want me to do? Lie to you?" She pressed. "You said she's beautiful! I'm just speaking based on your words." Warsan concluded.

I watched her for some time, hoping she'd take back what she said. She shrugged and turned her face towards the cash register. I scoffed. "And here I was... thinking my best friend had a supportive bone in her body." I huffed, making my way to the door.

"Jannah, stop! I don't know why I said that. I'm sorry." She shouted from behind me.

I turned around to look at her. "You don't understand, Warsan. Dawud and I don't have a 'fling'. We're not dating and we're not goofing around. This is as serious as it gets. That was so insensitive of you to say." I said sternly. Warsan turned away from me and I sighed. "Assalamu'Alaykum."

I didn't want that conversation to get the best of me. I wanted to have a relaxing trip where I could forget all about my worries.

The department store I was going to wasn't far. I walked straight, stepping into an empty alley behind Dawud's bookstore (see picture above). I stopped in my tracks, blinking a few times to make sure that what I was seeing was, in fact, real.

A few feet away from me were Dawud and Parihan. He was standing next to the store's dumpster, holding a black bag full of trash. He wore a troubled look on his beautiful face.

Parihan was almost unrecognizable. There she stood, with a hijab on and a hand against her waist. "Dawud," she said softly. I felt a painful jolt in my chest. "Dawud, I'm sorry. I don't know why you're being so distant!" She said, exasperated. He looked at her with empty eyes now. There was a long silence before she said the chilling words that hit my core. "Who is she?"

"That's none of your concern." He told her. I pressed my eyes shut, hoping that it was all just one long fever dream. "She's meeting my father after tomorrow. We're serious and I don't have the time for this." He told her, referring to our trip to the museum. Was it after tomorrow? Was I ready for it?

"If you don't tell me who she is, I will find out myself! And you know how heartless I can be." Parihan snapped.

Dawud walked off angrily. Parihan ran passed him, blocking the store's back door before he could get back to work. "What is it that you want from me? You and I can't be alone together. We shouldn't even be speaking without a guardian of yours." Dawud said. There was a strain in his voice and I hated it. I'd be an idiot to think that this conversation didn't hurt him. Why wouldn't she leave him alone?

"Tell me who she is." Parihan hissed.

I don't know what came over me. I don't know if it was dumb or heroic of me. I don't know if it would ruin my life or benefit me but I did it anyways. I took a deep breath before marching over to where they stood. "It's me. I'm her." I said, looking Parihan in the eye.

Chapter Eighteen ->