Chapter 48: The End.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Jannah's P.O.V

Alhamdullilah. That was all I could say. What more could be said? Today was Muna and Akhlaaq's nikkah. The night before, I had stayed over at her house alongside Warsan to prep Muna for the best experience ever: married life. She asked me embarrassing questions and I responded with embarrassing answers. She even admitted to over-reacting over the phone and apologized profusely. Warsan entertained herself the whole night by seeing how far the subject would go and when I grew red with embarrassment, she'd give up asking questions. It was a night to remember and I don't regret any part of it. Muna's Mahr (dowry) was around five thousand dollars. I laughed as she told me how Akhlaaq would unknowingly pay off her remaining student loans. I thought that was really cute. Just as they united themselves through marriage, her husband had already lifted a huge burden from her shoulders without having a clue. How romantic! Yubarik Lahum (God Bless them). The day of the wedding had gone smoothly. Muna's parents were naturally as quiet as she was. There hadn't been any yelling or stress. In the morning, Warsan and I tended to her every need. Eyeliner? Warsan's specialty. Henna? You know I don't have to answer that. Zipping up the dress? Now that was both Warsan and my job. Mostly because we argued so much over who would do it, nearly tearing the beautifully embellished fabric apart. And then it was the car ride to the mosque, deafeningly silent and painful. We wailed just as we had on my wedding day. This time Muna was sat in the middle of the car instead of me, clutching our hands as if it'd be the last time she'd see us. Everything had gone by so quickly. I remember it all in flashes: the shy smiles Muna and Akhlaaq shared, the tears streaming down my cheeks, the way Warsan had pulled me in for a tight hug the same way she hugged Muna on my wedding day. I stood there, puzzled, realizing it had been six months that Dawud and I were married. I hadn't paid attention to how quickly summer had gone by. I also hadn't paid attention to the way Dawud was glowing in his navy blue suit today, matching Akhlaaq's other friends. I hadn't spoken to him since I left our apartment for the sleepover last night and seeing him gave me the same butterflies I had on our wedding day. How could I forget the beauty that I called my husband? Dawud's hair was now down to his shoulders. It twirled and curled behind his ears. His crystal green eyes contained enough detail that I could sit and describe them forever. And those freckles, ya Rabb, those freckles. I simply smiled at him and looked down at my hands. "Alhamdullilah." I whispered.

The Walima (wedding ceremony) was scheduled to be in three days and so in a wave of calmness and silence, people filed out of the room. Muna and Akhlaaq were engaged in a conversation gushing with bashful glances paired with modest and hesitant physical contact. This urged Dawud to take hold of my hand and kiss it the same way he had done on the day of our Nikkah. "Getting married was the best thing that could have ever happened to me, you know." He whispered, leaning forward to kiss me on the cheek. The room was now growing empty. "Seeing you today gave me butterflies, I swear. Almost like-"

"The first time I saw you." We said in unison. And for some strange reason, I started to tear up. Dawud, understanding me better than I understood myself, took me by the arm to an empty room outside the nikkah ceremony and across the hall. He shut the door and watched me with an unsaid curiosity. Almost as if his eyes asked 'What is it?'

"It's just-", I sputtered, trying to wring the words out. "Today made me realize how blessed I am to have you by my side. Subhan'Allah, so many of the problems we've had this past winter, spring and summer have all been because we listened to people we shouldn't have and never had enough confidence in each other. I now realize that your words should always come before everyone else's." I admitted. "This summer has been so crazy. With my mom and dad getting married again, taking summer courses and learning Arabic, it's gone by so fast."

Dawud grinned. "Are you ready to go back to school?"

I shrugged. "This year, I won't give anyone the satisfaction of ruining my life. I don't care if I come across ten different Parihans, six Emans, and five Rahmans. I don't care at all." I huffed. "As long as you and I stick together."

"I pray that Allah puts blessings and goodness in my last year of university and your new major, Habibti."

"Ameen."

And the conversation was sealed with a kiss.

**

Alhamdullilah, this concludes Book 1 of Dawud. The sequel is out now Alhamdullilah.

I also want to thank each and every single one of you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to read my writing. This book isn't perfect, just like us, and so I ask for your forgiveness for any harm/offense I may have done or created. I beg each and every one of you to keep me in your prayers. I really need it. Thank you for fangirling with me and sticking by me for over a year now. You'll always be in my hearts girlies :)

- From your dear sister, Sumaya

P.S: My beautiful friend Muna has given me the amazing idea of creating a sequel to this book. It would continue to follow the life of Jannah, Dawud and the rest of the characters with big surprises! Matters such as why Dawud lost interest in basketball and the story behind his relationship with Laith. Things like Jannah's childhood and the reason why her mom had been so cold-hearted towards Mariam and Abdallah. Alhamdullilah I've published it so give it a read insha'Allah :) It's called 'Jannah - A Muslim Love Story'

Assalamu'Alaykum wa Rahmat'Allahi wa barakatuhu... <3