34

Cassandra reached the gates of the Lafayette cemetery, the mere sight sent tingles down her spine and made her hairs stand on her arms. She tilted her head and squinted as she re read the sign, trying to get the courage up go go in.

But who was she kidding? She was a very strong witch, and unless any of them were strong enough to beat her barrier and tear her heart from her chest, she was practically unstoppable.

It was as soon as her heeled boot stepped over the boundary, a few witches emerged from the cracks of the cemetery. But only a few, weaker ones with little knowledge, newer members of the society, destined for failure, destined for a painful death.

Cassandra strode forwards, she looked ahead with a determined expression. She didn't make eye contact with any of them, for this was a piece of cake. Cassie raised her arms as she chanted something under her breath, sending the witches flying down, knocking each other over like dominos. Only a few decided to fight back, causing a slight discomfort in the back of her head.

"I've been through worse" she turned around to the witch lying on the floor with her hands stretched out, pointing towards her. "Now, I'll let you live if you point me in the direction of the vampire you're hoarding"

"Go to hell" the witch managed to spit out before collapsing altogether, her face lay on the floor and her arms flopped. Cassie walked up to the body, nudging it with the toe of her boot just to make sure.

"Charming" she whispered, the vampire flicked her hair to the side as she looked on up the aisle of tombs. No other witches ran to the aid of their newbies. It made her question if she was actually alone now.

Surely they wouldn't leave an original vampire under the protection of a few new witches who get tired from doing a simple levitation spell. Cassie sighed, she wanted a bit more fight, she wanted some more action, she wanted to take her anger out on the people around her.

Cassandra turned the corner and was met by another few; this time they were a hell of a lot stronger, indicating that Cassie was definitely in the right place. "What?" She asked "Is Dianne too scared to face me?"

"Dianne is occupied elsewhere" someone grunted "you didn't think we'd leave the vampire to be guarded by inexperienced ones, did you?"

"Well, part of me did wish for an easy day, but then again" she stepped back and got into a stance ready to pounce on them and destroy each and every last one "it never happens"

She jumped forwards, taking one of them by the neck and slamming them down to the floor. It made a very satisfying cracking sound and she felt his bones vibrate beneath her fingertips, but she couldn't appreciate it for long, for more witches were ascending.

Cassandra whipped her head to the left, seeing another few raise their arms and begin to chant, but they were too slow. "Phasmatos incindia" Cassie shouted and watched as flames cursed the flammable clothing of the nearest witch, she flailed uncontrollably as she flames touched her skin and engulfed her flesh until she was nothing more than a skeleton on the floor.

But not before long, Cassie's face snapped to the side as someone had used a dark object. Her hand raised to her cheek where she felt a very long and very deep scratch "oh, now I'm mad" she growled, jumping up and digging her teeth into the nearest witch, but instead of just feeding, Cassie grasped the witches wrist and absorbed all of her magic.

If it wasn't bad enough, the witch couldn't use her powers as Cassie had taken them all off her temporarily, she felt completely numb. Well, apart from the sharp sensation of Cassandra's teeth in her neck. But after less than a minute, she was dead and Cassandra had more power than she usually would.

"Who's next?" She opened her arms and raised them in victory as she could see most of the witches scattered amongst the floor. But it wasn't over yet, Cassandra wiped the blood off her mouth before being pushed to the ground by an invisible force. She grasped the floor as Cassandra tried to find her barings, but the witch grew more powerful and the pain grew more tense as she got closer.

"Who's going to save your little vampire now?" She asked, her hands hovering above Cassandra. It felt like a tonne of bricks falling down on her, keeping the vampire on the ground, she tried pushing herself up, but she was always pushed back down.

Cassie moved her pupils so she could see the silhouette of the witch, the sun behind her made it impossible to see the face. She growled as she tried to get up again, her arms pushing as hard as they could, but it was no use.

"It'll still be me" Cassandra snapped, reaching her arm forward and grabbing hold of the woman's ankles, pulling her onto the floor and violently ascending upon her like the plague. This time, Cassandra didn't drain her, no, she was the last one, Cassie could take her time.

It was torture, Cassie ripped parts of her neck, but didn't drain her of blood, she was taking her angst out, kicking, punching, biting, until her heartbeat stopped.

Cassandra pushed herself up, her clothing, her skin and her hair covered in both her own and everybody else's blood. It as a massacre, proving to the girl she still had it in her, she felt so alive.

She Holmed in her hearing and located Elijah's heartbeat, literally in the tomb to her right. "Elijah?" She called as soon as she stepped through the door and in the distance, she saw him chained up like some sort of animal.

She sighed in relief "thank god you're here"