35

Cassandra dropped to her knees and worked her fingers around the chains that held Elijah, they positioned him on his knees with his arms up in the air in opposite directions.

"I can't seem to get these open" she struggled, sliding her finger underneath the metal and against Elijah's hand, and pulling "why aren't they opening?"

In the meantime, Elijah was drifting in and out of consciousness, his vision was blurred and he couldn't quite seem to make out who was there with him, but he could feel her fingers below the chains and he knew she was here to rescue him. The sound of Cassandra's heeled boots echoed as she stood and tried to undo the other chain.

"The link" he murmured quietly, too busy in his own mind to actually form coherent sentences.

"the link?" Cassie moved so she was in Elijah's direct line of sight "what link?"

"You need to break the link" he managed, his eyes focussed in on her face as he recognised the smallest of features. He recalled knowing when she was scared, her eyes changed in a way that wasn't really noticeable to anyone who didn't know her. They dilated ever so slightly so the colour of her eyes darkened.

"Where's the link?" She asked hastily "we need to get out of here, I just turned a bunch of witches into an all you can eat, Cassie buffet and i don't think it'll be appreciated amongst the others"

"My blood" Elijah couldn't speak any more, he just physically couldn't, he had a sharp, crippling pain in his chest and it agonised him.

Cassie peered at Elijah's chest, his buttons were undone, so she could see the red marks there. Obviously the witches have cast some sort of torturing spell on him, paining Elijah whenever he gets the energy to care. "Let me get rid of that and maybe you'll actually be of use"

She ripped his shirt, undoing the rest of the buttons and placed her hand harshly down on the red mark in the middle of his chest. Cassie shut her eyes and began to absorb the energy within the scars.

Elijah emerged from behind the curtain, the moon the only light within the long corridor. His shirt had been ripped clean off and blood had been splattered all over his chest and face; and his expression, emotionless.

"No, please Elijah no, no, no" a girl came billowing past Cassie, dressed in complete white, however her dress had been stained with blood. "Please Elijah"

Cassie didn't seem to have any control over this world, it wasn't hers. The girl pounded on the red door as if to open it or to find help, she was terrified. But Elijah had already gained on her, and then everything just disappeared, apart from the red door.

Cassie heard the echoing sound of it unlatching, was someone on the other end of the door? "Hello?"she asked, approaching the dot cautiously, her hand hesitantly reached out to grasp the door handle. But nobody answered.

She turned the handle slowly and flung the door open, being greeted with evidence that confirmed every suspicion.

Cassie was flung back onto the floor, hitting her head harshly on the wall. The spell had completed and Elijah was no longer in immense pain, but he did only have a few minutes until he passed out, as an aftermath of such power being taken from his veins.

"quickly, Elijah, your blood?" She asked, crawling up to him and feeling the wound heal on her head.

"There's something on the desk, they mixed my blood into it" he informed her.

She turned around and stumbled over to the desk, finding a small oil lamp, but it wasn't filled with oil "gosh, how many dark objects are even in this town?" She asked "this lamp burns the liquid, it goes under everyone's radar but as long as it burns the recipient has immense pain, they've linked it to you"

Break the link. And could Cassandra think of any other way to break it except for the old fashioned way? Of course not.

She raised the lamp up and smashed it on the floor, glass scattered everywhere along with Blood and all sorts.

"Do you think you have enough in you to run home?" She asked as she returned to breaking the handcuffs and chains like they were nothing but thin pieces of paper.

"I'm guessing we'll have to try" Elijah was helped to his feet, but he still couldn't put much weight on them, instead he had to lean on Cassandra.

He looked down at her and at the blood she was covered in, the majority of it wasn't actually the witches, to his surprise. "You're covered in blood"

"Only just noticed that?" She laughed "I put up a pretty good fight you know" she tried passing it off as being the witches' blood, she didn't want to look weak in front of him.

"It's your own blood" he corrected

"Well... The witches can put up a pretty good fight too, you know?" she shrugged it off, mistaking Elijah's curiosity for concern, but she shortly corrected herself. "Anyway, let's get you back home, before you collapse and I'll have to do all of the heavy lifting instead of most"