Chapter 11 - Not Ever & Again

||Valeria||

I don't know how long I have been staring at the close door but when I finally turn around, I find Chantel fidgeting. It is a weird thing to witness on her. Chantel, I mean. She has always been the composed one between us and me the fidgety type. The one who always freaked out.

Like the day we sneaked out after our parents told us not to. There was apparently something going on about a business rival or something in that lines. I never paid enough attention to know. I was always ignorant to what my parents did, so long as they provided for what I wanted.

Everything started off okay. We glammed up. Make up on fleek, heels on point and outfits to die for. We looked smoking hot. Made heads turn and 'oohh' and all. The the only anomaly stacking up against us was our ages. We were under age and I mean under age as in thirteen and sixteen years underage. I don't know what we were thinking going to a strip club. It was all on Chantel's magical list of things to do before we turn eighteen. I went along with the whole charade. I would've never admitted this but I really did enjoy myself. We just let go and dance until the wee hours of the next morning. It was something different from my normal scene. A change. A breathe of fresh air, and was it the most liberating thing ever. We were having fun of our lives, dancing the night away until two guys started getting touchy-touchy. Chantel kneed one of the guys in his balls. One thing lead to another, and we ended up getting arrested. And through all that experience that made me want to vomit my whole gut out and what, she remained calm, not even afraid of the looming our-parents-infused-apocalypse.

Now, seeing her like this is just so unusual. Something I'll describe as unorthodox.

She moves up and down the room without saying anything. I don't say anything either. I keep quiet and stare at her blankly.

She suddenly turns around to face me taking a sharp intake of breath.

"I know what you are thinking..." she runs her hands through her hair.

"And what is it that I'm thinking Chantel? You seem to have all the answers." I spat.

"That I'm crazy and losing my mind. That I'm wasting my time being here. That I don't probably stand the slightest chance of earning your forgiveness."

"Oh, you are so spot on with your last statement darling. Never knew you were smart enough to put something like that together." I fake a smile.

She sighs.

After a short silence she asks the most unexpected question. "So... is it true? Uhm... about the... you know..." She leaves the question hanging.

I knew exactly what she was talking about but I wasn't ready to divulge into that subject. "What is?" I ask her instead, bluntly to add.

"You don't have to pretend with me Valeria. I know. Everything. Perks of being a Stewe." She smiles sadly.

"Oh, almost forgot that fact." I say dryly. "Perks of being a Stewe." I mimick her.

"How are you holding up?"

"You mean after trying to commit suicide and coming out unsuccessfully? Oh, I'm the definition of awesome. The sun shines bright. The sky is blue. I can still breathe. What should be wrong with all that?"

She doesn't reply immediately. "You don't have to be sarcastic with me Valeria. I know you."

"Something I wish was never the case." I mutter under my breath. She flinches at that pressing her eyes close.

She is silent, with a thoughtful pained look. "So...?" she looks at me, questioning.

"What?"

"Are you still?"