4-Miss Movin' On

[Jenna's POV]

---

"Alex! I need to get out of here. Want to go get manicures?" I ask her upon entering the living room. I'm not a girly girl so she is taken aback by my bold suggestion. She looks confused for a second and then realizes if I stay cooped up here any longer, I might explode.

"I'll drive." She mumbles while peeling herself off the couch.

I slide my phone into my back pocket of my jean shorts and follow Alex out the door. It's the last warm day we will have for a while, according to the weather men.

The breeze curls my hair around my face and I push it behind my ears.

I get into the passengers seat and turn the radio up.

"And now, with One Direct-" I turn the radio off and slump back in my seat while Alex starts the car.

"Better not bring it up..." Alex mumbles to herself.

We drive for about ten minutes in utter silence before Alex turns the radio back on.

I don't mind Katy Perry.

"It was so much easier over there," I mumble, partly just to myself, but mostly to Alex, "I didn't have to worry about finding someone I couldn't have."

In the military, you are trained to treat everyone the same and not make any bonds. I wish I could apply that to my life here in New York City...

"Maybe you should give him a chance." Alex implies.

"He saw me dancing drunk at a club and took me home. That isn't exactly what I call a first date." I lash back at her.

She looks wounded and upset as we pull into the small yet crowded parking lot. We each get out if the car without any words exchanged and we go inside.

We sit in the waiting room next to each other, yet very distant. I should apologize but I don't think I need to. It was her silly idea I responded too. Of course I'll never give him a chance, he is probably some suck up, selfish, arrogant, big headed, popstar.

"Why won't you give him your time? You need someone, Jenna. I can see it." Alex says after minutes upon minutes of silence.

"I was just thinking about that, and well, he's a popstar who is most likely big headed, arrogant, selfish, stuck up, fake..."

"Do you need a thesaurus?" Alex interrupts.

I glare at her until the receptionist calls our names. I grab my bag and Alex and I go to the back part of the building. We sit down at about the same time, right across from each other.

The woman who prepares to do my nails tries to make small talk but I'm not exactly in a talkative mood.

After minutes of her scrubbing away at my skin, she asks what color or design.

"Stars and stripes." I say blankly and she nods, getting up to gather the colors and tools she needs.

I hear Alex and the receptionist talking. I guess I should apologize before Alex decides to never forgive me.

"Alex, c'mere." I nod and she walks over here, taking a seat on the cushioned bench I'm sitting on.

"I'm sorry for lashing out at you earlier, I've been so stressed out and I just let it all out on you. You didn't deserve that." I'm sincere and Alex can see that. She walks back to the waiting room to wait for me to finish. She got French tips and they don't take very long.

The woman comes back with blue, white, and red colors and small tools to help her accomplish the task.

Within minutes, I have my thumb, pointer finger, middle finger, and pinkie decked out with red and white strips and my ring finger covered in blue with white dots.

Alex stands up and we exchange silent forgiveness as we walk back to her car.

We both get in and I come up with a plan.

"Do want to go to dinner tomorrow night?" I ask with hope.

She turns the radio down and purses her lips. She gazes over at me and nods.

"Yeah, yeah I really do. Just like how it used to be." She smiles warmly.

Just like how it used to be.

We drive back to our apartment in silence.

I didn't realize that my life will never be how it used to be from now on.

---

I wake up to complete and unending darkness. I hear thunder crash and then my room becomes illuminated by a flash of lightning. I roll over in the sheets and check the time.

It's already 10 o'clock in the morning.

I couldn't of guessed, it's so dark outside.

It's like what the world should look like. The happy and joyful masks we put on everyday are just that, masks.

If you look inside any of us, it's where our demons hide.

We all have secrets.

We all have demons.

Another roll of thunder runs through the skies as I get out of bed and go into the bathroom. The cold tile floor makes my feet freeze before I get into the warm water. It feels so nice and it's a great way to start this rainy day.

Another clap of thunder follows the sound of me turning the water off.

I grab a towel and look at my pale reflection in the mirror. I still have minor scares from the war. They won't ever leave my body.

I wonder if Alex is awake, we are going out tonight.

I also wonder about the destination at which Alex will make reservations.

I wonder if this storm will ever lighten up.

Or, maybe this horrendous thunderstorm is actually the calm before the actual storm begins.

---

Not much to say here...

Song from this chapter is Miss Movin' On by Fifth Harmony.

See y'all soon.

-Lyfeswagger