"i d-don't believe you," you stuttered, backing away slowly from the person across you.

jimin's lying, for sure. he wouldn't do this to me... right?

a slight smirk lingered on his lips, before he transfixed his gaze back on you again. "are you sure you don't want to hear me out on this, chaeyeon?"

you swallowed, unsure of what he was trying to tell you. a part of you wanted to just disappear, yet another part of you wanted to hear him out pretty badly.

feeling beads of cold sweat trickle down the sides of your forehead, you tried your best to keep a cool front despite all the messy thoughts rushing through your head.

before you could reply to his question, a deep sigh left the latter's lips. it seemed to break you away from your train of thoughts as you frantically looked up to make eye contact with him.

"look, jimin, i'm-"

"not ready to move on? too afraid that you'll not know what to do after him? or do you just not want to accept reality and stay the fuck away from him?" his voice seemed to bounce off the walls of your apartment.

he took the words right out of your mouth.

you looked up from the ground and saw the sorrow in jimin's eyes. "what will it take for you to let go of him?" he questioned, voice breaking painfully.

you had to bite hard onto your lower lip to stop it from quivering, because you were too close to breaking into tears.

i can't risk crying in front of jimin, i'll just look weak.

"if telling you that i saw heels that weren't yours didn't help, i'll tell you now that jin found his ring in the trash can the other day." jimin's fists curled up angrily just at the thought of it.

he did what?

you felt as if the whole world stopped, not being able to breathe for a second after you processed what jimin had just told you.

all you felt was a dull ache in your chest, it felt as though your heart was being squeezed painfully.

the arms that were crossed defensively before your chest now fell to your sides, defeated. you had to close your eyes to stabilize yourself.

another sigh escaped jimin's lips as he looked at you sympathetically, "oh, come here, love."

something in you was triggered after you heard jimin speak, tears fell almost immediately from your eyes.

jimin's arms were wide open as you rushed into his embrace, burying your face into his chest as his arms wrapped around your waist, pulling you closer to him.

your broken, muffled sobs were all jimin heard.

jimin had to take in a deep breath to prevent his emotions from getting the best of him. he hated seeing you sad.

one of his arms left your waist as he rubbed soothing circles on your back, doing whatever he can to make you feel better. the other arm held the back of your head gently.

"don't waste your precious tears on him anymore, love. show him that you can live, with or without him." jimin cooed, holding you protectively.

you slowly pushed yourself away from him, sniffled and wiped your tears off your face with the back of your hand. blinking to get the tears out, you realized how much of a mess you were.

jimin loosened his grip on your waist, "you need rest," he muttered, his concerned eyes scanning you as he squeezed your shoulder.

the sleepless nights you had because of your relationship were obvious, partly because of the eyebags and dark circles you had now. your house didn't look very neat either, unlike the usual.

"yeah.. i'll rest. i need rest to get him back."

jimin froze, his hand fell from your shoulder.

"what?"

you apologetically stared at jimin, "i can't be without him, i need to win him back. i'm not going to let all we had just go like that,"

jimin ran a hand through his hair, frustrated.

"he's not coming back, chaeyeon, love..."

"i need him to tell me that himself then because i'm not going down without a fight." you clenched your fists, determined to salvage your 4 year relationship.

jimin sighed exasperatedly. "why?"

"because he means the world to me, jimin."

you paused, touching the promise ring on your middle finger lovingly.

"because i love taehyung."