4

Coach Delton was a large, tall, man. He wore a pair of dark blue gym shorts and a gray T-shirt that read 'Wilmington Military Academy' est.1921. He had graying hair cut close to his head and at the moment his eyes were narrowed into slits that made them look black. Those little black slits were glaring, at me.

"Everyone go change!" He bellowed in his deep commanding voice.

All of the boys including Will, Ian, and Oliver, whom were in my class headed towards what I guessed was the locker room. I stood were I was for two reasons. One, I didn't have a gym uniform, and two, I was not changing in a room full of boys.

"Excuse me, Coach Delton." I asked tentatively.

"What?" He growled, glaring at me.

"I don't have a uniform."

"Here." He said tossing a pair of maroon shorts and a gray shirt identical to his.

I stood there with the new uniform in hand unsure of what to do next.

"What are you waiting for? Go change!"

"Where?"

"In the locker room." He said pointing to the door that the boys had previously entered.

"I can't change in the boys locker room."

"Why not?" He growled growing irritated.

"Because I'm a girl and those are boys." I said slowly trying to make him understand that we were two VERY different species.

"Fine. Then you can wait for them to finish changing and then go in."

I walked over and leaned against the wall waiting for the boys to come out. No sooner than my back touched the wall the boys came rushing out, obviously excited to start the class. I walked in and made sure that they were all gone and then changed into my new uniform. It was big on me. I had to roll the shorts to make them a comfortable length and the shirt hung loosely on my frame. I pulled the pink hair tie off my wrist and swept my hair up into a messy ponytail.

I came out to see all of the boys running laps around the gym.

"Five laps!" Coach Delton yelled across the gym to me.

I started a quick run and easily completed my laps with the boys even though they had gotten a head start. I walked over to the coach talking to Will and stood in a group of guys waiting further instruction.

"You didn't finish your laps!" Coach Delton yelled at me.

"Yes I did."

"You started later than everyone else and you finished at the same time. That's not possible. Two more laps!" He ordered.

I gave him a glare but decided that I didn't want to get into trouble on my first day so I took off around the gym. I sprinted the two laps and made my way back into the crowd of boys. The coach seemed surprised at how quickly I had finished the laps but continued to talk.

'HA! Didn't think I was any good! That's what eleven years of volleyball, softball, and tennis does for you!'

I had tuned him out while he had been talking and was now confused when two guys started to call out names. They were picking teams and the group of guys was slowly growing smaller. Will, Ian, and Oliver had already been picked, leaving me and three other guys standing.

"Sam." The guy standing next to me went and joined his new team.

"Ron."

"Vince." The last guy standing left and joined his team leaving me alone to be picked last.