20: The Perfect Plan

With the news that Nick's next trip out was scheduled for the following morning, the Lieutenant Commander spent the majority of the day double and triple checking the M.A.N.T.A.'s systems. He also performed a very thorough visual inspection of the outside of the ship. He inspected every inch of the surface of the M.A.N.T.A. at least four times, and hoped for the best.

Truth be told, he knew the Commander already ran through the exact same checks, and probably more, and would most likely go through them all once again before the ship left the moon pool. Nick was mainly just trying to stay busy. It helped keep his mind focused so it didn't wander onto other, less desirable things, such as suddenly finding a hairline crack in the hull of the M.A.N.T.A. at 35,000 ft. when the ship instantly implodes on itself ending up the size of a basketball. Then, of course, there was still the very real possibility of the Cavitation Drive not shutting down properly, forcing another full system shutdown and cold restart which was always a gamble. Being stranded at the bottom of the ocean wasn't really on Nick's bucket list of things to do.

It was dark corridors like these that Nick was trying to keep his mind from wandering down, and most of the time only marginally succeeding.

Nick found that there is a huge public misconception about test pilots. Whenever he introduced himself as a military test pilot the new acquaintance seems to instantly label of him in one of two ways; he's either not afraid of anything, or he's crazy.

Test pilots are afraid, in their line of work there's plenty to be afraid of. But fear isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fear heightens the senses, pumps you full of adrenaline, and enables you to do things you would never be able to do without it.

Fear, can be good if you control it, and don't let it control you. Fear, he had plenty of.

As far as the "crazy" label goes; Well, yeah, he had to admit, there may be a little bit of crazy mixed in somewhere.

Nick's theory on being a great test pilot was having a good "plan B", "plan C", "plan M", "X", and "Z", and if necessary a "plan A1", and so on. It meant never considering any situation "unwinnable" or any problem "unsolvable". You just simply had to learn to look for a solution elsewhere.

Alone, in his quarters, Nick spent the final part of the day reviewing the mission briefing one more time when the incoming communication alert appeared on his screen.

§<< INCOMING COMMUNICATION FROM COMMANDER NATHAN STRONG >>

Nick answered the call causing a blue, monochromatic holographic projection of the commander's face to replace the briefing documentation he had been reviewing. Initially, Nick was eager to go over the events of the last 24 hours, but upon seeing the expression on Nathan's face it was pretty clear something big had happened topside.

"Man -- you've looked better.", Nick remarked. "Did you go out with that brunette again?"

Nathan shook his head and didn't as much as grin, "I wish."

He appreciated the attempted humor. Hopefully that would make the real news he was about to deliver a little easier to take.

"Is Commander Kennedy nearby?"

"She's probably in the moon pool running tests.", Nick replied, a little confused as to why Nathan would be asking for her.

"She's something else by the way.", Nick added sounding a little impressed, "I mean she's not bad as far as senior engineers go..."

"Can you grab her real quick.", Nathan interrupted. "I told command I would update you both at the same time."

"Okay.", Nick replied slowly, taken back a bit by the urgency.