36: Another Unexpected Guest

Doctor Marshall hurriedly made his way across the lab to Eugene. Knowing the alien's sensitivity to light, the doctor left the primary lights off. Truth be told, the alien's necklace was doing a fine job of illuminating the room all by itself.

Eugene's huge eyes were still locked with the doctor's and he still retained the same comforting smile as the doctor approached. For once, the creature actually looked -- at ease.

At least that made one of them.

The doctor stopped just shy of the observation tube.

"I think you've got a visitor."

As if on cue, the doctor watched through the exterior side of the observation tube as the tiny craft slowly lowered itself into view behind Eugene.

Upon getting a better look at the 'ship' with his own eyes, it was much harder to tell, much like the one Eugene piloted, if it was mechanical or biological in nature. The spinning motion the doctor witnessed earlier had stopped. The corkscrew fins had flattened to each side of a main cylindrical center, which seemed to have a glowing network of lights that ran along the length of its body.

The necklace around Eugene's neck pulsed with a sequence of flashes. Then, for the first time since his "visit", Eugene spoke. The language was a combination of a series of rapid clicks and whistles with a soft, low guttural sound emanating from deep within the creature's throat.

Eugene uttered a phrase, if that's what you could call it, and a moment later, the crystals around its neck answered back with an incomprehensible sequence of long and short flashes. The conversation continued as the Doctor stared I awe.

"Oh boy..."

20,000 feet below, Jordan raced the M.A.N.T.A. to the required minimal speed, and the countdown for the Cav drive had begun.

"Cavitation Drive engaging in 5 seconds.", the computer aboard the M.A.N.T.A. announced.

The tiny sub was already traveling at more than 60kn, as Jordan gripped the controls tighter. The glowing gloves of the M.A.N.T.A. suit, now emanating a deep purple hue, hid her white knuckles.

Nick was also more than a little apprehensive about their plan, but he did his best not to let that show to Jordan. Instead, he thought it might be best to inform the Commander about the kick in the pants she was about to receive in less than 5 seconds.

"Ok. When this thing fires off it's got one heck of a kick.", he said with forced calmness.

"4...", updated the M.A.N.T.A.'s verbal countdown.

"Don't let that kick force you to pull back on the controls.", he continued.

"3..."

"Keep the ship as straight as possible and..."

"I got this.", Jordan interrupted defiantly.

"2..."

"...try not to get us killed.", Nick completed his statement quietly to himself.

"1."

5,245. That was the number of tests the M.A.N.T.A. had run through in the labs. That's 5,245 different scenarios that the M.A.N.T.A. might possibly encounter. 5,245 situations that were dreamed up by the military's top engineers and scientists. They ranged from the loss of power, to partial system shutdowns, to accidental impact with large marine life. There were scenarios that involved water leaks, short circuits and a total blackout of the lights. In all those 5,245 tests, not once had they ever imagined that there would be two people sitting in the M.A.N.T.A.'s pilot seat when the Cavitation drive was engaged.