Fourteen: Time To Come Out

"She had a heart attack," dad's voice trembled, finding it very difficult to get the words out, "she...she died."

My heart dropped into my stomach and I stared for a while, the information slowly processing in my mind. I didn't—couldn't—react straight away. My dad stared back at me, a look of sadness and confusion on his face. As I stared, my mind filled with everything to do with my mum; images of her, memories, conversations, all the times we've argued, me coming out to her.

When I stopped staring, that's when the floodgates in my eyes opened and out came the tears. They streamed down my face in the space of a split second. I quickly placed my hands over my face, not wanting my dad to see me crying. I could hear my dad about to move towards me, but I moved away and stood up. I shook my head as I held my hand out, tears still streaming down my face.

"I don't want to be in here." I said in a trembling voice, before quickly leaving my house.

It was the worst thing I could've done to my dad in this situation, but I never liked being around my family when something bad happened.

Tears continued to stream down my face as I rushed down countless streets, trapped in my thoughts, my mum's face never leaving my mind. I didn't know what to think or do. When I finally got to where I wanted to be, I rang the doorbell a few times in an urgent manner. The door quickly opened and there he stood, an angry look on his face, but the expression turned into a concerned frown.

"Lukas?" He began, "what are you doing back? What's wrong?"

The tears kept filling my eyes and falling down my cheeks, my brain unable to form any words as I breathed heavily.

"I didn't know where to go," I began, pausing to attempt to breathe properly, "my mum...my mum died."

Alex's face softened into a guilty expression, his mouth opening slightly in shock. He froze for a few seconds, obviously not knowing what to do.

"Come in here." Alex ordered, grabbing my hand and pulling me in. I sniffed, wiping my tears and snot away before I felt him pull me into a hug. It was pointless for me to wipe my tears away because when Alex hugged me, the tears didn't stop coming. He held me tightly, one hand on the back of my neck, caressing it with his thumb, his other arm wrapped around me.

"I'm so sorry." Alex whispered softly, his hand beginning to rub my back.

We hugged for a long while, until I finally pulled away. He gave me a soft smile and grabbed my hand, before leading me into his living room.

"Sit down, I'll be back in a minute." Alex offered, before walking away. I sat down on his sofa and sighed, feeling the tears drying up on my cheeks as I began to stare, thoughts of my mum taking over any other thought I had.

Alex came back in soon after with tissues in one hand and a glass of water in the other. He sat next to me and gave me the tissue, before placing the glass of water on the table. I wiped my tears and nose, before sighing and looking up at him, tears still welling up in my eyes yet again.

"I'm sorry I came here, I didn't know where else to go." I apologised, feeling a lump forming in my throat.

Alex shook his head and smiled softly at me, "no it's okay, don't worry about it."