The Master Blackmailer, Part 6

Sebastian led the way as Annabelle and Moriarty followed a few paces behind.

Annabelle preferred stretching her legs to the confines of the car, but the sharp branches and rocks under her feet were making it difficult to keep up with the long strides of the men. They had already been walking for over an hour.

Moriarty saw Annabelle was slowing down. "Are you alright?"

"How much further?" she said as she tried to swallow down the emptiness in her mouth. What she wouldn't give for some water. And the last thing she wanted to admit was that she couldn't keep up with him.

"It's just over that hill." He took off his sunglasses and pointed to a ridge. "Seb, hold up."

Sebastian turned around and put down the suitcase.

"Do you have anything to drink?" she said, trying to keep her chin raised despite how lightheaded she felt.

Moriarty hesitated then pulled a small silver flask from inside his coat pocket. He held it out to Annabelle. She looked at it warily but took it from him. Unscrewing the cap, she sniffed, then wrinkled her nose. "What is this?"

"Whiskey." Moriarty smiled as he leaned against a tree. "That's the best damn Irish booze money can buy, sweetheart."

Annabelle groaned and handed it back to him. "No, thanks."

Moriarty shrugged, put it to his mouth and took a long swig. He lowered the flask. "Ahhh, no one makes whiskey like the Irish! Are you sure you don't want any?"

With a disgusted look, Annabelle shook her head. "I'm already feeling woozy. I don't need any help. Let's just get where we're going."

Moriarty nodded and put the flask into his pocket. "They'll have water and some food when we get there.

"And where's there?" Annabelle took off her shoe and dumped out a small twig.

Moriarty signalled to Sebastian and led the way without giving her an answer. Annabelle sighed and followed, with Sebastian close behind her.

They walked over the hill, through the trees, then finally came to a little glade. The grassy meadow was a welcome sight as Annabelle looked around. If only she could rest for a while. Thankfully, Moriarty halted their walk.

"Seb, let 'em know we're here."

Moriarty glanced at his watch as Sebastian got back on his phone. Annabelle kept walking and found an old, fallen tree and sat down on it. She took off her shoes and examined how damaged they were from the difficult walk through the forest. Tossing them to the side, she ran her bare feet over the ground, smiling at how wonderful the cool, lush grass felt on her sore feet. She sighed as she stretched her back and looked up at the blue sky above her head, hidden for so long above the forest's dense canopy. She couldn't help but smile again as she leaned against the raised portion of the tree, closed her eyes and enjoyed the sunshine on her face.

"Boss?" Sebastian looked at Moriarty then followed his employer's eyes.

Moriarty's gaze was riveted on Annabelle. He was mesmerized as he watched her. He couldn't recall when he had seen anyone so happy and content. He knew she was tired, thirsty and probably hungry as it had been hours since he had taken her from Byron. And yet here she was, drinking in the simplicity of a sunny day. He was fascinated.