Chapter 7

Note to Reader: (Same as the one I put on the update for Booker's Mate :) )

Next Chapter! Maybe I should try to upload this and Booker's Mate on Mondays...I need to find a schedule that works! Sigh.

I also edited Elena's Warriors and re-published it on Amazon (KU) as Her Warriors to see how it would do- since it wasn't getting a lot of borrows, I took it out to take wide. It's an MMF paranormal romance short- it's on sale on Amazon for 99 cents and hopefully I'll get on top of that and get that up everywhere else soon.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter and I hope everyone is having a good week so far :).

***

Jordan

I waited until Curt was asleep and then carefully slipped out from under his arm.

I needed to call Peter.

I'd put off facing the music long enough.

Stepping out onto the porch, I hit his number, pacing in my bare feet.

It didn't even finish ringing once.

"Jordan, what the hell is going on? Do you not remember why I didn't put Cynthia on this assignment?"

"I know Peter." I opened my mouth to say something else, but couldn't think of what else I could say.

"I finally get someone everyone else wants to interview and this shit happens." I could almost hear him pacing. "Do you know how this makes us look? Like fucking amateurs! Amateurs that don't know howto be journalists!"

I winced.

"I'm really sorry," I said lamely.

"Sorry won't fix this." He sighed, relenting a bit. "Alright, why don't you come in now and we can figure out an angle to play here. There's no use fighting against this now- maybe we can use it. Change this into a human interest story about how you guys met, blah blah blah."

I winced.

"Um, well, can I come in Monday?"

A short silence.

"Why can't you come in now Jordan?"

"I'm not in the city right now."

"Where are you? And if you lie, you know I can find out."

I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"In Montana."

"Montana! What are you doing in Montana? Wait...are you with Curt right now?"

His voice almost cracked at the end of that question.

"Yes. For a couple of days."

I heard him muttering to himself now as he probably resumed pacing.

"OK. There's probably a goldmine of interesting information you can find out there. Talk to everyone, learn everything you can. We can run with a full spread of everything."

Just the idea of turning this whole thing into another story left a bad taste in my mouth.

"I'm not comfortable with that, Peter. I'd feel like I was taking advantage of them."

"You're not comfortable? Tough luck. You wouldn't have even met Curt Beckett if he hadn't been an assignment. This is your job. Grow up and do it."

My stomach felt queasy and my hands clammy at even the thought of violating Curt and his family's privacy in that way.

"I can't."