Chapter 2: Chai Tea and Cobblestone

Chapter 2

Chai Tea and Cobblestone

To Suzette, there was always real beauty in a cup of well brewed coffee. Especially when it was from The Local Creamer, a funky coffee shop tucked into the folds of downtown St. Augustine. Ivy sat cross legged on a soft corduroy sofa that was smashed against one of the pea green walls. A splatter painted canvas hug above it, slightly crooked. Suzette loaded a lump of sugar into her cup and sat down next to her friend, careful not to send jarring waves through the cushions that could potentially spill Ivy's chai tea latte all over the place. 

"What's happening at five o'clock?" Ivy asked, fidgeting with the seam on her paper cup.

"It's nothing too exciting." Suzette prepared her. "Someone stole the History Buff's meeting time in the conference room and the rest in the school are all filled up tonight. The weird thing is that our slot was replaced by the Boys Knitting Club." 

Ivy didn't even bother trying to hide her laughter. "That sounds pretty ligitimate." She said sarcastically.

Suzette applied a fresh coat of chap stick and smiled. "My same reaction. In order to investigate properly, I cancelled the History Buffs meeting. I'm going to check this club out for myself."

Ivy raised an eyebrow. "You were able to snap your fingers and cancel the meeting? Isn't that Maya's job?"

Maya, a calm and collected Senior, was the official president of the History Buffs. "Maya's sick with the flu." Suzette explained. "Since I'm vice president, I get to take over while she's out. That means I call the shots."

"For now." Ivy corrected with a giggle. She glanced down at her neon green sports watch. "Well, little miss Sherlock, if you want to catch those knitting boys we better get rolling."

Suzette glanced over at Ivy's glassy watch face. It was 4:35. "Sure, alright." She agreed. The two walked out into the crisp St. Augustine autumn air. It really was a beautiful city they found themselves living in. It wasn't obnoxiously large, but it wasn't forgetfully small. Most downtown streets were cobblestone, and the buildings appeared to be older than the city itself, yet they were all in amazing condition. There were lush parks and flavorful farmer's markets, sidewalk chalk drawings and full on murals. There was one particular side of the city that was a tad rough, but most people like Suzette and Ivy chose to ignore that fact. 

As they climbed into Ivy's '90s Honda, Suzette sucked in one more breath of clean air, took one more gulp of coffee, and prepared her mental knitting needles.