Chapter 14: I Like That New Perfume

Chapter 14

I Like That New Perfume

"So. How was that band?" Georgie was spread out on the sofa, leafing through a water stained issue of Vogue that was months old. In the dim lamp light, she looked positively exhausted.

"They were decent." Suzette slid off her shoes, feet aching. "What time is it?"

Georgie didn't even glance at her Coach watch. "It's nearly midnight."

"It's not my curfew for another half hour. It's not like I'm late." Suzette muttered, heading to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water.

"I'm not upset with your timing." Georgie said, sitting upright and tossing the magazine to the floor. "I'm more alert to the new scent you're wearing."

Suzette's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. She lifted the corner of her shirt sleeve and sniffed. Cigarette smoke. Dang Catty. "Since it was late I decided to take the bus home instead of walk," Suzette started, forming her lie. "At the bus stop, there was a couple smoking heavily. The smell must've rubbed off on me."

Georgie seemed to buy it. "Okay. After you get your pajamas on, put your clothes in the laundry room. I can wash them for you in the morning."

Suzette smiled. "Thanks Mom. Good night, sleep well."

"You two Suzie." Georgie blew an air kiss to her daughter and then quickly disappeared down the hall. Suzette heard the sound of her parents' bedroom door closing softly. Suzette put down her glass and paddled over to her own bedroom. 

Suzette had a corner room, but it wasn't overwhelmingly large. The cherry hardwood floors in the kitchen and living room also leaked into the bedrooms of the apartment, so to warm up her space, Suzette had placed a large, and very fluffy, white rug in the center of her room. Her walls were painted a crisp lavender, and her twin sized bed with a cream colored comforter was pushed over near her window, which was draped in lengthy curtains. Her vanity was made of pine but painted a striking white. The surface was a clutter of perfume bottles, makeup and school notebooks. Her mirror had photographs pinned into its sides and corners. Most of the pictures were simply of her and Ivy. 

As Suzette flicked on her overhead light, the brightness startled her. She hadn't realized how tired she was. She dashed over to her walk in closet, which was stuffed with clothes, and grabbed some pajamas. After sliding them on, she dropped her smokey outfit of the night off at the laundry room, and then collapsed into bed, not even taking the time to think the night over.