Chapter 19: He Likes Her, He Likes Her Not

Chapter 19

He Likes Her, He Likes Her Not

Reed knew he didn't want her there. 

Tonight's fight was a big deal. No, a huge deal. He was going up against Pauly once again, and if he beat him, then he'd go up against a completely new opponent in the finals. If Suzette showed up, she'd cross her arms across her chest, wrinkling her perfectly pressed trench coat. She'd stare directly at him and watch his every move like a video camera. He'd be distracted. 

Reed knew he wanted her there.

But something about Suzette made him feel anxious. He never knew what she was going to do or what she was going to say. She kept him on edge, and he liked that. 

Reed shook his head, banning the thought. Suzette was just a girl. He had already pledged his heart to the fight. If he couldn't concentrate, he wouldn't win, if he didn't win, he wouldn't get the money. No money, no dinner for his brother and mother. That was something Suzette could never understand. 

"Reed!" Reed knew before turning around that it was Peter, his hair bouncing like a rubber ball as he ran into the locker room, slightly out of breath. 

"What?" Reed cracked his knuckles, listening to the buzz of people outside the door, filing into the stadium.

 Peter's eyes were wide. "She's here and she's got someone with her." 

Reed wasn't as disappointed as he thought he'd be. "I thought I told Louie to tell 'er not to come."

"Louie talked to her," Peter explained. "But I guess he didn't sway her."

"Well Peter," Reed could hear Catty stepping up onto the mat. "The show must go on." 

He didn't even try to stop the smirk that crawled onto his face.