Chapter 15: Friends Don't Let Friends Fight Alone

Chapter 15

Friends Don't Let Friends Fight Alone

Suzette had been staring into her strawberry yogurt cup for almost a minute now. Her crunchy granola was becoming dangerously soggy. "Ivy." She said suddenly, her voice snapping. 

Ivy pulled her blond ringlets out of her eyes so she could see Suzette. "I was wondering when you were going to say something. You've been strangely quiet today." Ivy jabbed her fork into her tupper ware full of wild rice. 

"I followed that address Reed Fields gave me on Saturday." Suzette plunged her spoon into the yogurt, but didn't make it re surface.

"Oh!" Ivy lightly slapped her forehead. "I'm such I dope! I totally forgot about that!" She leaned in closer. "What happened?"

"Have you ever heard of Catty Blue's Fight Club?" Suzette asked.

Ivy made a face. "No. Sounds like a movie title."

"It's no movie." Suzette shook her head. "It's where I went on Saturday."

"A fight club?" Ivy's voice wavered. "Aren't those, like, illegal?"

"Uh, no." Suzette was quick to answer. "But it is illegal to have under age fighters. I Googled it."

"How old is Reed?" Ivy asked.

Suzette lowered her voice to a whisper. "Seventeen."

Ivy gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. It looked fake, but somehow Suzette knew her reaction was genuine.  "Suzie..."

"It doesn't stop there." Suzette continued. "It's not just Reed. All of Catty Blue's fighters are underage. They all go to our school." Suzette paused a moment. "From what I saw, they're good. Especially Reed."

"Was anyone hurt?" Ivy's face was distorted.

Suzette shrugged. "I assume people were injured. Not fatally, though."

Ivy seemed pleased with that answer. "Well, do you think you're going back?"

Suzette looked around the cafeteria for a moment. At one of the far tables, Reed sat, his back to her.  Crowded in the seats beside him were Louie, Peter, and Smith. Smith had a black eye forming on his right. His eyes locked with Suzette's, and he gave her the slightest indication of a smile. Suzette's lips turned upwards back at him as she looked away. "Something tells me I have to." 

"Good." Ivy said. "Because I've made a decision. Next time you go, I'm going with you."