Chapter 19 • Adding To The Problem •

Chapter Adding To The Problem

"Sir, Anna Collins' apartment has been abandoned. There's only a few furniture left. No clothes, electronics or anything that had her identity. Her landlord clarified that she was there this morning about after ten but he has no idea that she had left until I confronted him", Luke's private investigator informed.

Audrey, Nate, Zayvion and I were sitting while Luke and Mr. Jones were standing. Well, Luke was more like pacing. I could see him clenching and unclenching his jaw.

I stood from my seat and walked over to him. I wrapped my arms around his torso so he could stop pacing and laid my head on his chest. His arms came around my back as he sighed into my hair.

"Relax", I whispered.

"How can I relax when there's people out there trying to hurt you and our only lead has disappeared? I promised I will protect you, Rebecca and I intend on keeping it."

"We're all here for you. We'll put an end to this", Zayvion spoke up.

It was now 11:45pm and exhaustion was clear on everyone's faces. I couldn't help but feel guilty because I've dragged them all into my mess.

"How 'bout you guys head out? It's late and I'm fine. We can continue tomorrow or some other time", I suggested.

They all agreed hesitantly and made their ways out. Audrey yawned and stretched as she got up from her seat and went to her room after bidding us goodnight.

I turned to Luke, "You should probably get some rest, too. You have work tomorrow."

"Oh, I intend to", he bent down to pick me up and walked towards my room.

•••

At around two in the morning Luke's phone went off. Do you know how annoying it is to be so comfortably snuggled up next to your lover and the comfort just disappeared in a heartbeat?

Yes, he's so inconsiderate. Slowly slide from under me, not just rush out! I face planted in the pillows with a groan.

He kissed the side of my neck, "Sorry", he whispered.

I pulled the duvet over my head in response.

"What?", he growled into the phone. There was a pause then, "Meet me at Rebecca's at seven. It's too early for this. Get some rest", with that he hung up the phone.

"Who was that?", I asked sleepily.

"Jones. They tracked the number that Anna was talking to", he replied.

I sat up, "Really?"

"Yes, but pay no mind to that now. Sleep", he pulled me back down and wrapped his arms around me.

•••

"Are you sure?", Luke asked as Mr. Jones told us what they found out.

"I'm positive, Sir", Mr. Jones nodded.

I wasn't even surprised about the news. It's like everyone that has something against me is ganging up just to make my downfall.

I wouldn't even be surprised is Nessa was in on it too. Turns out, Cassie was the person on the other line that Anna was talking to.

"I'll go talk to her", Luke stated, "We wouldn't want her on the move like Anna."

No. You do that later. Now... You have work. We agreed on no more slacking. Cassie can wait", I crossed my arms over my chest narrowing my eyes challenging him.