ten: do you remember summer '09?

2010

"How could this be done by such a smiling sweetheart?"

"Why do I have to read the whole play?" Hanna complained as she flipped through the flimsy paper script. "I don't want to be the bad seed's mother. I want to be the other mother, the one that's drunk all the time."

"No comment."

Hanna scrunched her nose up at Spencer in bad taste. "Are you still ragging on me for bringing a flask to the dance?"

"What the hell? You brought a flask to the dance and didn't share?" Jo flung her script to the ground, gaping at Hanna. "Where is your allegiance, soldier?"

"I didn't tell you because the last time I let you get a hold of it, you sucked it dry." Hanna looked beside her at Emily, who was staring at her shoes. "Turns out Emily is just as bad."

Acting as an impromptu saving grace, Aria changed the subject. None of them wanted to talk about the way Emily was at the dance. They all knew the break-up was coming after those phone calls, but a reminder wasn't needed as Emily was still heartbroken. "Speaking of bad, how is your living situation working out?"

Hanna bit her lip. "Caleb is now living in the basement. When we found out he staying at school, I felt bad."

Jo raised her eyebrows at her blonde friend. Had it been her, she would've left Caleb to live in the air ducts at school. She didn't hate him but they seemingly never got along, despite all the time they spent sharing clients. He was too dubious for her to fully trust.

"And your mother hasn't found out, yet?"

"No, but A has." She mumbled, picking at imaginary lint on her designer jeans. "Hopefully, I can get to my mother before A does and come clean."

"Hey, Hanna-banana and clan-na."

Jo rolled her eyes as she noticed Mona before them. She donned a cheetah print blouse that was sure to have cost her a small fortune. Although, Jo deemed it as something that wasn't worthy of a bargain barrel. Price tags were worth more than good fashion sense, she figured.

"How did it go in there?" Hanna beamed at her cheery friend.

"Honestly," Mona flipped her hair over her shoulder, speaking in a nasal tone. "It was epic. I think Mr. Fitz cried."

Spencer snickered as she rested her chin in the palm of her hand. "The rest of us should just go home, then. Shouldn't we, Mona?"

"Well, there are no small parts—just parts that don't make the yearbook," Mona claimed, an annoying smile hanging off her pouty lips. "Toodles!"

As Mona walked off, her yellow six-inch heels clicking with every step, Jo held her fingers in the shape of a crucifix at her. A mixture of eye rolls and chuckles came from the others in response.

They turned their attention back to their scripts as Spencer demanded Emily help her with her lines. She claimed it looked good on a college application to have more than sports as extracurricular. However, Jo figured if she was good enough at field hockey, it wouldn't matter what else was on there; she would get a full ride. That's what the football players did, at least.

Jo laid her head in Aria's lap, nearly falling asleep from the way the younger girl's tiny fingers played with her long hair. An insistent tapping echoed through the halls, making Jo's eyes spring open as she sat up from Aria's lap.

"Jesus, do I need to carry holy water in my backpack? All sorts of demons are walking through the door today." She snarled as she watched Jenna make her way to Mr. Fitz.