The Tinkerer's Treasure

(F/n) waited for Edgar at a table in the back of the restaurant, so she wouldn't be able to see the balcony. She didn't want to be reminded of the grim event, while she was trying to eat some food. At the moment, though, she just drank some ice water to calm her down. Still, it would help if Edgar could hurry along with his explanation to the investigators that arrived.

She had already talked them and told them what happened. (F/n) told how Frederic had seemingly lost his mind at the end of the night and decided to jump off the building for a grand way to end his life after retirement. As for the bruise, forming on left cheek, she described how Frederic had punched her when she attempted to stop him. When it was Edgar's turn to talk, he told her to wait for him at one of the tables in the back, so she could ease her slightly distressed mind. Personally, she didn't consider herself in sorrow, and she found shocked to be a better term.

So, now she waited and watched from afar. She couldn't hear what Edgar was telling them, but she had seen the investigators become surprised at learning that Frederic had a brother. Granted, Edgar was on record with regards to his birth certificate and such, but the general public didn't have access to such files. Besides, Frederic had created a veil that repelled any curiosity from forming about him having another sibling.

It was still somewhat surprising that the now deceased male had managed to form such a web. (F/n) would've thought that Frederic's father's business partners would have shed some light on both siblings. So, when she voiced such a question to Mr. Helmsgrove, after he had spoke with the investigators and before he left for the evening, he merely answered that Edgar wanted to be kept a secret from the general public. Edgar had apparently even told his father the same thing when the company first started.

Regardless, when she saw Edgar heading back over to her and the investigators leaving as well, she sat up a little in the black cushioned booth seat. He took a seat across from her, in one of the wooden chairs at the table and made himself comfortable. "So, what did you exactly tell the investigators?" she asked, as she rested her hands on her lap.

"Well, after I explained that I liked little attention, hence the reason few know about me being Frederic's brother, I told them that Frederic loved attention. To add to this, I described that Frederic, over the past few months, had been exhibiting an even greater obsession with the spotlight. Granted, I added that his retirement came as a surprise, since he loved attention so much. Lastly, I narrated that he decided to commit suicide because it would garner attention at a heightened level. In the end his obsession drove him to madness. Mr. Helmsgrove also spoke of my brother's gluttony for the spotlight, and how it was consuming him. Besides, there really shouldn't be any worry, since none of us did kill him."

"What about your calm nature? Most wouldn't act in such a way after their sibling committed suicide."

"I explained that I was fighting back my grief. It wasn't the best of excuses, but it seemed to work enough. I did act a little shocked and disheartened during my explanation, though."

"And the waiters, the police didn't seem to question them too much."

"Well, if you remember, they weren't in the dining area at the time. I guess that you were so focused on the doll during the auction that you didn't notice them taking away the dessert plates and forks. We were their last guests, so they have been waiting probably in the break room. Likewise, all the other staff was absent from this area as well.