Chapter 5: Spill

I was on my bed resting after work when I got a call from Maryam.
"Where are you?"
"In my room"
"Okay" she said.
I looked up to see her coming into my room.
"So you were in the house and you still called" I said while laughing.
She laughed before removing her hijab and sitting on the bed.

"A little birdie told me that you had a guest at the hospital yesterday" she said while smirking.
"Yeah Baba's son came"
"Okay" she said smiling.
"Who knew baba had a son"
"Yeah" she nodded as her smile widened
"It was strictly business "
"True" she said unconvinced.
"Besides Hashim was there"
She tilted her head to the side as if to say 'spill'.
"Stop giving me that look" I said.
"What look?" she asked innocently.
"The look you give me whenever I'm holding back information "
"Start talking then."
I ended up giving in and telling her everything including the will Baba left.
"This is so perfect ya Allah" she said and I rolled my eyes.

Maryam has always had a thing for arranged marriage because according to her love fades in love marriage while in arranged marriage the hatred eventually turns to undying love for each other.
Personally, i think that's a lie because in love marriage, you get to marry someone you know.
Someone who loves you and whom you love back. Someone you can die for.
Even though arranged marriages work, but not in all cases. I just want the happy ending everyone deserves.

"I think you should give it a chance "
"See!" I said. "That was why I didn't want to tell you at first" she started laughing.
"On a serious note think of it. Baba won't write something impossible. He saw something ahead." She added "If not for anyone, do it for baba."

*

I was in the kitchen helping mama with lunch when my phone rang
"Siriki na ne?(is it my in law)" mama asked while winking at me
"Mama it's from the hospital". I said while laughing.
I left the kitchen and answered
"Hello"
"Doctor it's Hashim. I've been trying to call you since yesterday"
"Sorry I've been busy with hospital work" I said in a flat tone.
"I want to tell you how sorry I am" his tone laced with sincerity
"Hashim please, it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't apologize for something you didn't do"
"I know. I just want to apologize on his behalf" he said "It has been hard for him to cope knowing his dad is gone. He's not actually as bad as he seemed."
"It's okay" i said while inhaling deeply.
"Just try and give it a chance. I know a year seems long but time flies very fast."
"We'll see"I said before disconnecting the call and rushing back into the kitchen.