Who Knows?

Author's Note: Thanks to everyone reading! Sorry this update is a little slow, but they'll get more interesting soon. Comment and thoughts or predictions you have. I love reading them :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hunter." Mom knocked on the door.

"Come in," I said.

I was reclined back in my desk chair with my feet up on my bed, watching a movie. She glanced at the screen and then sat on the bed next to my feet. I grabbed the remote and paused my movie. The girl on the screen was in the middle of crying over a Ouija board. Mom shook her head.

"I can't believe you watch these movies," she said.

"What do you want, Mom?" I asked her. My voice came off much harsher than I intended it to. She bit down on her lip and dropped her gaze. "How was your visit?"

"It was great," she said. She looked up and lifted her lips into a smile. "I wanted to talk to you. Your father will be released Wednesday morning."

"Great, I can come home from school to a family."

"Hunter, what's with this attitude?"

"I didn't mean it," I mumbled. "I'm just tired."

"You know what they say is not true. I know the kids at school must tease you and -."

"I know, Mom," I interrupted her. "It was Uncle Tommy, not Dad. You've told me that countless times. I remember. Besides, no one really says anything anymore at school."

"I'm happy to hear that," she said. "He can't wait to see you, and spend time with you."

"Yeah, maybe we'll have time to do something."

I reached for the remote and turned my movie back on. Mom glanced over her shoulder and back at me. I ignored her and kept my eyes locked on the screen.

My father had never been around. He's been locked in prison since I was a baby. Mom says he doesn't deserve to be there, but there were many people in our town who disagreed. After Mom wrote her book, a lot of people started defending my family. I don't know what to believe, and my interest in it died down a long time ago. I loved Mom. I loved her with all of my heart and she was all in needed. When I visited Dad, he would try and ask so many questions and give me advice. He thought he knew me, but how much could he know from a one hour visit every other week?

"Sleep well, sweetheart," she said as she got up off of my bed.

I stopped her before she left my room.

"Mom, wait," I said.

"Yes?" She turned around.

"Can I go to Adrian's tomorrow night?" I asked. "We were going to watch a few movies."

"Are you staying the night?"

"Yeah. Okay, just keep your phone on you."

--

In the morning, I dragged my feet down the stairs. The blinds were open and then kitchen was flooded with sunlight, causing me to squint my eyes. I pulled a pitcher of juice out of the fridge and sat it down on the counter. I saw a note scrawled out in Mom's hand writing.

Got called into a work for a double.

Have fun at Adrian's!

She added a heart a smiley face to the bottom of the note. I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed Adrian's number.

"You better not be backing out tonight," he said.

"Not even going to start with a 'hi'?" I asked.

"You know I always assume the worst."

"My mom is gone for the day. Do you want to come over?"

"Julie's gone? That's a shame. We get along so well."

"Yeah, too well. I feel like you're trying to replace me as her son. Anyways, are you coming over?"

"Depends, are you going to make me breakfast?"

"Just get over here."

I hung up the phone and dropped it on the counter. I pulled the ingredients out for French Toast and piled them together. Adrian lived a few blocks away from my house. He was always quick to come over, but if he knew there was food here he would be running over. I turned some music on, and barely two songs passed before I heard the doorbell ring.

Adrian was standing there with his arms crossed over his chest. He had on jeans and a red hoodie with a pair of sunglasses propped on top of his head.

"Glad to see you spruced up just for me," Adrian said pushing past me.

I closed the door and looked down at myself. I had on a pair of plaid pajama bottoms and an old shirt. I hadn't looked in a mirror since I woke up, but I could imagine the mess my mop of brown curls must look like. Mom has been telling me to cut my hair for months.

"Oh, French Toast," Adrian said as he entered the kitchen. "You're forgiven."

"Sit down." I told him. "I need to talk to you."

Adrian pulled out a chair and sat at the tiled island. I turned on the stove and placed a pan on top.

"I told you you're not allowed to back out of this party," Adrian said.

"Somethings in life are more important than a party," I told him as I started to mix the ingredients in a bowl. "My Dad is getting out on Wednesday."

I looked over my shoulder to see Adrian's face had paled and his eyes were wide.

"Are you serious?" he asked. "Like, legit? He's actually getting out this time?"

"Yeah, that's what my mom said."

"You don't seem too thrilled."

I set down the bowl and turned around to face him. I set my hands down on the cold tile and bit my lip.

"I don't know who he is," I said. "Some people believe he is a cold blooded murderer. Others think he and my mom got caught up in some weird traditions and didn't know how to get out. All I know is that my family is fucked up."

"All families have their problems," he told me.

"Have you read my mom's book? My uncle and grandfather killed people. They kidnapped women and made them into brides. This is different than a dispute at a family barbeque."

"Did your dad do that stuff though?"

"Mom swears that he never did, but who knows?" I turned around and continued cooking breakfast. "She probably made all that stuff up to get him out of prison."

"You think so?"

"I don't doubt it. I'm going to watch him like a hawk when he gets here. If he hits my mom at all I'm calling the cops."

"I bet your dad has some cool prison stories," Adrian said.

"That's not helpful."

"Come on, he's been in there for what...fifteen or sixteen years? He's got to have a few stories."

I shook my head and continued to make breakfast.

"So this party." I needed to get him off of the topic of my Dad. "How long are we staying?"

"You don't set an alarm when you enter a party," Adrian said. "We're going to drink and meet some girls."

"Girls?" I said with a chuckle. "Yeah, like we're ever going to get a girl."