Family Dinner

Author's note: Sorry this update took a while. I've had quite the string of bad luck lately. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I texted Ava to come over for dinner. She replied right away and agreed to. I sat at my desk, and pulled out my calculus textbook. I managed to finish a few questions before six o'clock.

I hurried down the stairs and waited by the door. The last thing I needed was Mom or Dad answering the door. I could hear them moving around in the dining room.

"I have no idea," Mom said. "He's never mentioned a girl before."

"We'll meet her and see how she is," Dad said. "I want you to make her feel comfortable here."

I stood waiting by the door. I could see Ava walking up the sidewalk, and up to the house. I opened the door before she knocked on the door. Her blue eyes grew when she saw me. She had on a black dress and tights. A purple scarf was wrapped around her neck. Her blonde hair was pinned back.

"You look beautiful," I said without realizing.

Ava stopped, and the pale skin on her cheeks started to blush.

"Thank you." She got up on her toes and kissed me.

I looked up to see the clouds above the house were dark. A cold breeze tickled my skin. I opened the door further, and Ava stepped in. When the door shut, Mom hurried out from the kitchen. She had put on a red dress and had curled her hair. She opened her arms and hugged Ava.

"I'm so excited," Mom said. "Hunter has never brought a girl home before."

"Well, we're going to start off awkward," I said.

"Thank you for inviting me," Ava said.

"You're so beautiful," Mom told her, and I watched Ava's face blush even more.

Dad came out from the kitchen, and he had on a pair of slacks and a white button up shirt. I looked down at my jeans and shirt to see I was the only one who was not dressed up.

"We're glad you could join our family, Ava," Dad told her.

"Thank you." Ava's smile grew bigger.

Mom slipped her hand into Dad's. He looked down at her and smiled. He started to pull her towards the dining room.

"Dinner is already on the table," he said. "Let's eat."

Dad and Mom disappeared to the dining room. I looked over at Ava to see she was fiddling with the ends of her scarf.

"Sorry about my family," I said quietly.

"It's really nice," she said. "Your parents really love each other."

Rain started to pelt the windows outside. I took a step forward and Ava followed behind me. The table was full of food, and the delicious smell filled my nose. Dad and Mom sat opposite ends of the table. Ava and I sat down across from each other. We started to pass food around the table.

"How did you two meet?" Mom asked.

"At a -." Ava started to say.

"At school." I cut her off. Mom couldn't know Adrian and I were at a party. "Ava just started at Westwood."

"Did you just move here?" Dad asked.

"Yes, I moved in with my aunt," she said.

"What happened to your parents?"