22. They Will Bite

"Ma'am?" The Nurse says.

"Yes?" I ask.

"He woke up but is very tired and sore." She says.

I shoot my head up, "He's awake?"

"Yes. The doctor is letting you see him, but only one person at a time." She says as everyone stands up.

"You go, Annie." Nikkie says.

I nod my head and stand up. I walk into the hospital room and see Nate laying down in the bed.

"Annie?" His weak voice fills the quiet room.

"You idiot." I say.

"It was me or Chris." He says.

I give him a small sad smile. I pull up a chair and sit down next to his bed. I hold his hand and he smiles at me.

"I survived The Shadow Killer." He smiles.

I chuckle and his smile grows wider.

"I should have a book made of me. We should throw a party because I'm immortal." He laughs.

I laugh with him and kiss his forehead.

"I feel like shit, but I'm immortal!!" He shouts.

"Ma'am?" I hear a nurse ask.

I turn around and see her standing there nervously.

"May I talk to you outside?" She asks me.

"Sure." I say and look back at Nate.

He smiles at me and I smile back. I walk out of the room and the Nurse shuts the door behind me.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Um, well you see, whatever your friend was shot with........ it was coated in poison. His wound will heal, however the poison that's in him can, and will, kill him." She explains.

My heart sinks and I look behind her to see Daniela coming out of a hospital room.

"Do they know?" I ask her.

"No, I haven't told them." She says.

"I'll tell them." I say.

She nods her head sadly and walks back down the hall. I walk over to Daniela as she wipes her tears away and brushes her hair out of her face.

"How's Chris?" I ask.

"He's still stupid as ever." She forces a laugh.

I hear her sniff but she pretends everything is fine.

"How's Nate?" She asks me.

"He's...... the Nurse.........he might not make it." I say.

I look out the window but I know her. I know she's crying, she never cries but when she dose it's silent. She dose something she rarely dose and hugs me. I feel her shaking and I hug her back.

"He's strong, don't worry." I say as I pat her head.

"He's also an idiot." She grits out and pushes me away.

She's looking behind me and her eyes are filled with fire. I turn my head around and see Nate smiling at me.

"What the hell are you doing!?" I yell at him.

"It got boring in there." He shrugs.

"Are you kidding me? You are filled with poison!" I push him back into the room.