15 | Part 1 - Happy Birthday

Two days later

Two days later. Space Girl and Little Man's joint birthday party. Fourth of July.

Happy Fourth of July and a Happy Birthday to you.

Mrs. Diola Tyson swept into the backyard in a one-piece bathing suit and crochet sheer cover-up. Her deep dark skin was coco buttered up and no one would call her old in the hot July sun. My mother was forty-seven-five feet tall and didn't look a day over thirty. Hell, she was mistaken for mid-twenties more often than not. Mom knew she looked good and acted like the black queen she was. As always, when my mother was able to come to any event in person, I had to resist the urge to bow. Her entrances were always grand. Whether or not we had a dollar to our name, my mother always had her head up. It wasn't like she was trying, she really wasn't. It's just everywhere she sits, it's always a throne, and it is what it is. It's how she was raised to act. I turn out as a nerd. My mother always carried herself well.

My mom kisses my cheek and each one of my friends. Eve, caught up in the moment, gave a little curtsy. Although, I think that was more joking than an actual need. My mom gave Eve a grin of pure consternation at her usual mischievous, rotten nature.

"Jo-Lee, when Bella comes back from her grandparents, make sure she comes by and sees me, you hear?" Her imperious welcoming eye brown was up in full-court mode.

"Yes, ma'am, Mom," she answered promptly to Jo-Lee, her skin turning pink at the slip-up. Everyone calls my mom, well, mom. When Jo-Lee first moved out here to live in base housing, my mother used to watch her daughter Bella for her. She helped to raise that little now-teenage girl. She was family to us, just like all my friends were. My mother walks over to the tiny table of sweet cupcakes and finds a tiny undersized mini cupcake that Carly made her especially. The dark chocolate cupcake with dark chocolate frosting and dark chocolate shaving was something my mother could never have said no to. The cupcakes near it were larger, but her mini one was just her size. She picks it up and eats it. My mother doesn't need to watch her weight, but she always does.

"Carly, delicious," my mom says.

"Thanks, Mom," Carly replies like the cat that ate the cream. The best thing about my mother is when you do good she says it. She's not like one of those moms who compliment you on everything and anything. You know where you stand with her. My mom took another tiny bite of the tiny cupcake.

"Is he bringing her?" said Mom.

"Mom, Theo's my ex-husband, not Voldemort, you can say his name!" Eve cackles behind me. The pot-stirring my mother is doing is right up her alley. I smile at her second round of cackles to follow the first. "Yes, she's coming with him. Her name is Alexa, she's a lawyer, Mom." Maybe my mom heard that slump of uncertainty that sunk into my tone. My mom comes to my side and gives me a sideways hug. She's so small I always forget she's not six feet tall. I needed it.

"Met Noah..." A leading statement from my mom. Who's the lawyer now, mom?

"And?" I replied. Two can play at that game.