| chapter one |

' she was the smile on their face
But the beat in her heart '

BRILLIANT GOLD AND ORANGE HUES bled like fire in the east, over the rivers and beyond the city

BRILLIANT GOLD AND ORANGE HUES bled like fire in the east, over the rivers and beyond the city. The first slither of the sun peeked over the skyline in a radiant, white form. Gradually it raised, a defined circle in a vibrant backdrop.

As the sun fully revealed itself, it seemed to swell, losing its focus and spreading in contrast to Sofia's contracting pupils. A comfortable breeze picked up and lifted to Sofia's vantage point, caressing her face and softly blowing loose strands of her hair. Her dream was far away from her now, lost in awe of everything. It was for this reason that Sofia came to this spot each morning, to lose herself in silent beauty.

With her both her legs and arms crossed, Sofia inhaled the pure air, eyelids shutting as relaxation swept over her. Her ears picked up the sound of tires squealing along the rocky road, it's skin burning off little by little, and though it did nothing now, in a few months, it would have a significant effect.

Standing up, Sofia braced herself before taking off into the woods, the naked trees covered in a blanket of snow, concealing their warmth. Jumping down from one of the branches, Sofia landed next to the rest of her coven, the Denali Coven which included her sister's, Tanya and Kate along with Eleazer and Carmen, both of who were mates.

"Edward?" Sofia faced her best friend since she was young in her vampire years, a smile spreading across her face.

"Is everything alright?" Tanya asked, concerned about their old friend. "Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" The blonde rose an eyebrow once she saw Edward's blank face.

"Is it Irina?" Carmen asked. Worry filled the coven's eyes as they wondered where the last member of their coven was.

"Have you heard from her?" Sofia asked. The hybrid hadn't seen her twin, and it scared her a bit. She was worried, concerned and scared all at the same time. Never have they been split apart, even when the blonde was frozen.

"Not directly." The family all rose an eyebrow.

"Why is your bride waiting in the car?" Eleazar asked, Sofia looking back to see Bella and another guy, who smelled horrible.

"And why have you brought a wolf with you? I can smell it from here."

'So that's how a wolf smells, that's disgusting.' Sofia thought as she cringed, rubbing her nose.

"My family is in danger, and I need your help."

"Of course, anything," Sofia responded immediately.

"What's happened?" Carmen asked.

"It's hard to explain, but I need you to be open minded. Can you do that?" Sofia nodded, determination and confidence in her eyes.

"Of course. You don't even have to ask." She stated. Edward smiled, knowing that no matter what, Sofia would be ready to defend their family and friends. The male motioned for his bride to exit the car, along with two others. The shapeshifter and a young vampire girl except she had a beating heart and the coven could feel her warmth. Tanya and Kate backed up immediately as well as Carmen and Eleazar while Sofia stayed where she was, looking at the girl with curiosity.

"The Volturi will come for us all," Kate said, backing away as horror swirled in her wide eyes.

"You get that thing out of here," Tanya yelled, anger lacing in her tone.

"She's not what she looks like." Edward tried to reason, eyes pleading.

"This is a crime," Tanya screamed as she pushed Edward with her vampire strength. He fell to the ground but stood up and pushed Tanya. Kate ran up to him and electrocuted him with her powers. His wife, however, came up and stopped her from hurting him even more.

'Shield'

"She has blood in her veins. You can feel her warmth." Edward tried to reason again.

"I can feel it," Sofia said as she felt the young brunette's warmth embrace her.

"I'm her biological father and Bella's her mother." He explained, grabbing her in his arms.

"Impossible," Kate argued, shaking her head in denial.

"It's true. She was born while I was still human." Bella said. Sofia could tell it was the truth and that they were desperate.

"I've never heard of such a thing."

"She can show you if you let her."

"Tanya, please, you owe us this much. We are all under a death sentence because your sister didn't let us explain." Sofia's eyes widened, shock coursing through her body while they brought the girl. Her sister would have never done it without reason. The child went up to Tanya and placed her hand on her cheek.

"It's true. She's not immortal." Tanya stated as she removed her hand. Sofia smiled, and she came over to her next, carried by the wolf. She raised her arm and placed her hand on the blonde's cheek, and her mind was immediately filled with various images.

"You have a beautiful gift," She complimented once she removed her hand. "Do you want to see mine?" Sofia asked, and the brunette nodded. The blonde smiled warmly, eyes soft before pointing her finger in the opposite direction — yellow wisps formed at the top before floating out and developing into a yellow and black butterfly.

 The blonde smiled warmly, eyes soft before pointing her finger in the opposite direction — yellow wisps formed at the top before floating out and developing into a yellow and black butterfly

"Wow." The baby hybrid gasped in amazement as her eyes held awe along with her mother, the recently turned bride of Edward Cullen. "That's so cool. And pretty."

"Thank you."