Who Cares About The Cause?!?

Hailey stops me in the hall as I pass through to check on a patient from earlier.

"Here's Luci's urine test results."

I flip through the pages, immediately stumbling upon something.

"Thanks. I'll need a minute alone with her."

She nods. I enter the room and Luci smiles.

"Well, if it isn't Doctor No-fun. Come on in."

I approach the bed, preparing myself to ask a question to a patient who is already withholding so much.

"Luci, is there anything going on that I should know about? Anything strange going on with your body?"

"Not that I'm aware of, but you are welcome to check."

"I'm going to tell you something and I'm going to need a straight answer. Understand?"

"I hear you loud and clear."

"Are you aware that you are pregnant?"

Her expression gives the answer away. Utter shock displays itself across her face. She starts pulling at the restraints again, obviously frantic to escape them.

"I need to get out of here, now."

"We haven't determined the cause of your fever-"

"WHO CARES ABOUT THE CAUSE?"

"Then you need to sign some documents that say you are willingly leaving against medical advice."

"Yes, just get me out of here."

"Let me get those papers started."

"Please hurry, you don't know what you're getting yourself into if you don't."

Now she's got my attention. There's no way I'm rushing the paper work on her. I'm going to figure out what's really going on.