Like A Good Book

"I've heard about an improper baby before. I would have to read the angel books in Heaven if I wanted further details. I can try to get a friend to sneak them out, but punishment for getting caught is death."

"Before she vanished, she tried to tell me what it meant. She said, 'weh', before she vanished."

"That would be God interfering like always. No surprise. And I still don't know what that means."

"Can't we look it up on the internet?"

"You can't always trust what is said on the internet, for instance, Lucifer being portrayed as a boy."

"And Saint Nicholas."

She nods and stands. She starts walking upstairs.

"I'm going to take a nap to clear my head."

"I'll be up."

She shakes a finger in my direction, smiling.

"I really want to nap. No misbehaving."

I put my hand against my chest in mock shock.

"I'm offended you would think that I would do anything else!"

"Give it up, Andrew. I know you like the back of my hand. Everything you enjoy, what your fears are, even what makes yo-"

"Okay! I'll behave."

She sticks out her tongue and disappears into the hall. I pull out my phone, researching improper children. Nothing of value to me comes up so I give up, not wanting to raise Luci's mental alarms. I head up the stairs and to our bedroom. She's already curled up on her side, facing the middle of the bed. She pats the bed when I enter. I quick take off my work clothes and throw on a clean t-shirt before crawling in beside her. I move to wrap my arm around her hip, shocked when I find bare skin.

"I never said I would behave."