Chapter Twenty-Three

Madison's p.o.v »»

Before I even know where I'm going, my feet take me in the direction of the lake involuntarily. The dock comes into view and the various trees lined up against the lake make a wave of familiarity come over me. Staring at the water gives me flashbacks to that day. It's like everytime I blink, I see myself sinking further into the water.

I know I shouldn't be here, but I can't help myself.

I decide to cautiously sit on the edge of the dock, letting my feet dip into the cold water, swishing them around. I watch as some of the fish swim by. For some reason, I feel at peace. Ironically, since this was the last place I was actually alive at.

I hear laughter to my right, making my head snap in the direction of the noise. I instantly feel deja vu. I try to think back from when I felt this way before, but I can't put my finger on it. I sigh, laying on my back with my eyes closed.

And that's when it hits me.

My eyes snap open and I quickly push myself off the dock, running in the direction of Tyler's house. This is the first time I ever run long distance without getting winded.

After ten minutes of running non-stop and a couple of pass outs, I make it to the front of Tyler's door. I use all my strength I have left to knock, "Tyler!" I wheeze out, panting.

I'm so out of shape.

My thoughts are interjected when Tyler pulls the door open with an annoyed expression, but changes when he sees my distress.

"Madison?" he says, walking closer to me, "What's wrong?"

I try to talk, but my body hasn't calmed down from running 2 miles. "Here come in," Tyler says, ushering me into his kitchen while handing me a glass of water.

After drinking some water and getting my heart rate to slow down, I can finally talk again. I look up at Tyler with an indescribable expression.

"I know who was at the lake that day."

~~~~

"You mean to tell me she was at the lake that day with you?" Tyler asks while I laid down on the bed. "Well, not with me, but she was there." I said.

Tyler looks stressed out and takes a seat on his desk chair, putting his head in his hands. "Are you sure? I know her, she wouldn't do something like that."

I roll my eyes so much I almost lose them in my head, "She's not who you think she is, Ty." I say, "If you don't believe me, you should go and ask her yourself."

I watch intently as Tyler rubs his eyes frustratingly and gets up to walk over to my laying position, "I just don't understand why'd she do that." He said more to himself rather than me. I sigh, "Because she hates me and when she saw the prime opportunity to get rid of me, she did."

"You're wrong." he said, shaking his head.

"When are you going to fucking wake up and smell the roses?" I cussed angrily at him. He clenched his jaw, getting up to leave. "Where are you going?" I asked, my eyes following his movements. "I'm going out, stay here or leave, I don't care."

I roll over in the bed, screaming into the nearby pillow as my phone beeps. I pull the blanket closer to me, looking up at the ceiling in boredom. At first, I decide to take a nap, but the bedroom door opens slowly to reveal a sheepish looking Will. "Sorry, I was looking for Tyler." he says going to close the door again.

"Will, don't go." I say, gesturing him to come over beside me. He complies and walks over, sitting next to me.

"Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you didn't exist?" I ask with my arms behind my head. Will gives me a weird look, but answers anyways, "No, I don't, why? Do you?"

I shrug, "How was it here when I was gone?"

Will looks at me with an intent look, "Are you sure you want to know?" he asks while I nod. "Well, to put it simple, it was horrible." he responds vaguely.

I bite my lip, scared to ask what he means by 'horrible'.

I sit up slowly, wrapping my arms around me. "What do you mean?" I ask. Will sighs exasperatedly, "Shortly after you died, Tyler fell into a huge depression, I was sure he was never going to be better after it."

I gulp not sure if I want to hear this.

"But now?" I ask.

"But now you're back, and he's replacing anger and confusion with his happiness, I know he feels like a millionaire whenever you're around."

I laugh trying to cover the blush that crept onto my cheeks, "Alright, Will, I won't hold you here any longer."

He quickly hugs my sitting position before leaving Tyler's room. I stand up from the bed walking around his room, playing with some things. When I pass his desk, I see a notepad, so I decide to write that note to my parents.

I notice my mom's car isn't in the driveway, but the minivan is still parked by Tyler's driveway. I decide this is the perfect time to sneak in and leave the note on the kitchen counter.

Dear Mom & Dad,

I'm safe & alive. Although, you already know I can't die, right mom? Leave me alone, I'm not a science experiment.

Sincerely, your dead daughter.

After I'm content with the stupid note, I walk downstairs and out of the house over to mine. I get the spare key from under the doormat, and go inside. It feels weird to be in my house, especially because I don't feel like it's my home anymore.

"Hello?" I call out inside the house to make sure nobody is actually home. After a couple of seconds with no response, I proceed to the kitchen to place the note on the counter.

I hear a car pull into the driveway and I immediately curse a long chain of profanities. I automatically run up the stairs into my room, grabbing a duffel bag. I start stuffing it like a maniac, grabbing random articles of clothing around me.

Once I can't stuff it anymore, I open my window and prepare for the drop I'll have to endure.

"Madison!" A voice from behind me screams.

I don't turn around and instead, jump out of the window. After all, I can't die if I've already been dead, right?

When I hit the grass on impact, my mother comes running out of the house like a crazy woman. "Madison Olivia Taylor!" she screams, "When I get my hands on you, you're never leaving this house again! Do you understand?" she yells so loud, her voice becomes hoarse.

I start running away from her as she chases me down the block. "Leave me alone!" I scream, turning into another neighborhood. I hear her heels clicking closely behind me. Eventually, I feel a hard thud hit my back making me slow down.

I turn around to see my mom with a high heel in hand and the other one by my feet. "Did you just throw your shoe at me?" I scream, looking at her crazily.

"I'm going to do a lot worse than throw a shoe at you!" she threatens, sprinting at my stopped position. I don't have time to react when she tackles me and gestures for people behind me to grab me, too.

I yell bloody murder when two men in white grab me off the ground and throw me into the back of a car. "Where are you taking me?" I scream, bursting my own eardrums in the process.

"Shut up, inmate." One of the men say, slamming the car door closed.

Inmate?