22 -Rebekah

Rebekah

                        1 month later…

            “What you in here for?” A Chinese looking woman with short black hair asks sitting down next to me.

I look at her as if she has something on her face. You don’t know me so why do you feel the need to just come to me and ask me something that I rather keep to myself. Something I’m ashamed of, something that could have been avoided. I regret everything, and I just can’t see how I did all of those things. I murdered two people, and I hurt my girlfriend. It pains my heart to the point I can’t help but cry, and drown in my own self-pity.

“I guess I will just tell you why I’m in here.” The woman says after waiting a minute for me to respond. And I turn away looking forward, not paying her any attention. And I still say nothing, I keep quiet but I listen.

“My names Kim Min but I go by Kim, and I’m in here because I killed my family.” I look at her because what she said caught my attention. “Yep, I killed them…..killed them in their sleep.” She says rubbing both of her hands up and down her thighs as if she’s trying to calm herself.

I open my mouth to speak but she begins to speak once again. “I killed them because of my brother. Since the day he was born my parents treated him as if he was gold. And they acted as if I never existed. They always wanted a boy, they were so upset when I was born because I wasn’t a baby boy. After he graduated he went to one of the best colleges, he lived on campus, had a nice car and money in the bank. But all I had was a car I bought myself from saving up, and half a scholarship. They refused to pay for anything for me….and I didn’t know why they acted that way towards me. Yeah they fed me, and kept clothes on my back and a roof over my head. But I never got the love I used to get before my brother was born. I didn’t feel love. So I actually got through two years of college, and I got my associates degree, I invited my parents to my graduation and they didn’t show up. I was furious so I went home that night with bad intentions. I killed them in their sleep. And I even called the police afterwards, there was no need to try and run.”

“So how long have you been in here?” I ask finally speaking to her.

She looks directly into my eyes. “She speaks.” She says then she finishes off answering my question. “And I’ve been in here for 5 years now.”

“Okay so how old are you?” I ask.

“I’m twenty-five, what about you?”

“I’m twenty-seven, my birthday is in a month.” I say moving hair behind my ear.

“Well it’s a shame you have to spend your birthday in here.” Kim says, and I nod.

“I’m Rebekah.” I say offering my hand to shake deciding that making a new friend might not be so bad.

She smiles weakly, and shakes my hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“Misses Cook!” A guard yells and I turn to look at the deputy who called my name. She motions for me to come over to her using her index finger. I slowly walk towards her looking back at Kim with my brows furrowed. She looks at me with confusion on her face, and I shrug not knowing why I’m being called by this guard.

“You have a visitor.” She says opening the gate allowing me to walk past. I tense up when she says that because my parents came to visit me already a day ago so who else would be showing up to see me, unannounced at that. The next guards walks me to the visiting area and I see people sitting at a table in front of people who came to see them, and I glance around the room looking for whoever it is that came to see me. The guard points to the right of me, and Zahara turns around on her heels, and she smiles.