Chapter 9

Kate was washing the dishes from lunch when Liv immediately busied herself with sketches for her new children's clothing line. She started to add the finishing touches on the floral dress she drew weeks before. Before she fell pregnant with Ben's baby, Liv never would have thought about designing children's clothing. But for the past seven months all she could do was come up with cute little dresses, and tiny  suits. Her designs for the clothing she was suppose to show at fashion week were the last thing on her mind. As far as she was concerned, the designs for her new children's line were more important. 

Sophie was busy texting Daniel on her phone when Kate finished up with the dishes. As Kate went to join her two friends at the coffee table, she caught Sophie's eye and raised her eyebrows knowingly. Both were curious about Liv and Ben's relationship. All through college, they watched Ben and Liv make up, break up, and hook up. No matter what they fought about they always seemed to make up And even when they were thousands of miles apart, they somehow managed to find their way back to one another. Kate and Sophie knew first hand how complicated Ben and Liv's relationship had been. And although they knew Ben was with Emily, they had a feeling that it wouldn't last. No matter how 'in love' Ben and Emily claim to be, it could never compete with the love Ben had for Liv. From the way they saw it, Ben never stopped loving Liv he was just trying to get over her. And as for Liv, they knew she loved him too. Liv never even tried to date other guys after she met Ben. She would always use work as an excuse for not dating anyone else but they knew the truth. She would never admit to it but her best friends knew how Liv really felt. They just wished Liv would have the courage to tell him. But with Emily around, it wouldn't be that easy. 

While Kate and Sophie were silently arguing over who should bring it up, Liv decided to get it over with. She knew they were itching to ask something. "What?", Liv asked without looking up from her sketchbook. 

Sophie made a face and Kate silently told Sophie to ask but neither of them spoke up. It was a sensitive subject but they both wanted to know what was going on. 

"What?" Liv asked again but impatiently this time peering over the tops of the frames of her glasses. 

Sophie pinched Kate and finally Kate spoke up, "So..."

Liv groaned, took off her glasses, and set her sketchbook aside, "Just spit it out!" 

"Kate and I were wondering how you and Ben are getting along" Sophie quietly said.

Liv shrugged, "We're fine."

"You know what we're asking. We know how you feel about him, Liv", Kate said pointedly. 

"So this is why you offered to make me lunch. This wasn't just a I'm-here-to-make-sure-you're-okay-visit it's a we're-on-a-mission-visit." Liv replied sounding irritated. 

"Don't even start with us. You know we visit because we care and want to be here", Sophie reminded her.

"Yeah, and so what if we're on a mission. If you're not going to acknowledge what's happening then we'll make you" Kate said sounding stern which scared Liv a little. Kate was usually the shy and timid one. 

"And what exactly am I not acknowledging?" Liv asked stupidly. 

Sophie raised her eyebrows, "Your feelings, idiot." 

Liv gave her a sarcastic smile and before she could respond Kate warned, "And don't you dare change, avoid or ignore the subject. You need to figure this out." 

Liv tried to avoid the pained look on their faces but couldn't. She knew that they were just worried about her. They wanted her to be happy. And no matter how many times she lied about not loving Ben, they knew how she really felt. They always insisted that she just tell him how she felt but what they didn't understand was how terrified she was about getting hurt. And now that Ben was with Emily, she thought she was free from ever having to tell him. But apparently her friends thought otherwise.